Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try to hook up a mag 5 to 5 UGJ. The tank is a 90 gallon with a corner overflow with two bulheads drilled. The water will be fed to the sump by gravity and then adjusted by a ball gate then the mag 5 with pump the water out to a pvc tubing then straight into my UGJ. The two drilled bulk heads are only going to be used to drain ( one for emergency other for normal function. Since the pump is a 500 gph i figure that i should get 100 GPH per each jet. I have a couple of questions...

What size pvc tubing should i use?

Will this work?

Won't the hard tubing make vibrating sounds from the pump?

Thanks guys/gals. I like to get this done right the first time then to redo the tank when its fully stocked. BTW sump is a tide pool 1 made by marinekland.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Everything sounds like it will work fine. You may want to reconsider your pump size though. Shoot for something with 500GPH at whatever head-height you've got.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will upgrade to an eheim 1260 or 1262 when i upgrade my sump to a 40 gallon breeder. I just never ran a sump before and i already have a mag 5 and the sump so i will use what i have. Wont i have to drill a hole in the pvc above the waterline to break the siphon when power outage occurs? How big will the hole have to be?

Really need this question answered.... how big would you go on the pvc size? 1/2" from the pump into the tank.. Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just be sure to make some sort of siphon break somewhere because if there is a power outage and the pump stops, your gonna have a nice 90gallon puddle to skip around in on your floor.

If plan you have the sump return plumbed to come up from the sump and over the lip of your tank, make sure to cut some holes or even a slit just under your water line. So if and when the power goes out, all that drains into your sump is whats in you plumbing up to the holes or slit and whatever else is in your overflow/plumbing, not the whole tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Heres a quick paint drawing of what i mean. If you had no siphon break, the lowest points which would be the UGJs would suck all the water from the bottom in a reverse siphon after the pump shuts off.

HTH

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the diagram above. I will be buyng the pvc today and here is a design that i will be probably doing.
I change it up a little and do 3 jets on the right side and only 2 on the left side. Does this look good?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honestly, I haven't tackled UGJs before so I wouldn't know about decent plcement lol I just know to have a siphon break or you'll be in a world of hurt lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a similar idea, decided against it though. However, I still think it'd be a good idea if it's done correctly. Like others have said, just make sure you include a siphon break in case of a power outage, otherwise you'll have ~90 gallons of water on your floor.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Vadimshevchuk

Have you considered powering the UGJ via a powerhead behind the background? You could run the lines under the background as well.. No back siphon issues to deal with that way.. You can buy a 400 GPH powerhead for 25.00..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just dont want extra equipment in the tank and a powerhead will only add to the cluter. This is one of the reasons that i went with a sump because all the equipment you will see in the tank will be nothing because the return pipe will go behind a 3D background. I think i will just drill a siphon hole .5 inch under water line and i should be could in case of a pump failure. My over flow is gonna be set up with 2 bulk heads used to drain water (one is 1" drain pipe, and the other is the emergency .75")

The mag 5 output is .5" in diameter. I'm thinking of using a hydor 300 watt heater in line and i will use braided nylon tubing from the mag 5, to the heater then an extra foot of the braided nylon tubing to the pvc return straight to the UGJ. Does this sound good? reason for the tubing is to reduce vibration noise.

NEED THIS ANSWERED PLEASE! What PVC size tubing would you use on a UGJ system? thanks you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i would say go with the size of the output of the pump. im running .5" on my setup, with a smaller pump, and works fine.(i only have 2 jets though) so go with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts