Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to undertake a DIY Sump, and I am debating how to go about doing it I know I wanna use a smaller aquarium, my question is, my Tank is 150gal, approx what size sump should I be aiming for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you going to put it under a stand? If so, what the biggest you can fit in there and still be able to maintain it. I would go with that. I'm currently building my own sump out of some salvaged glass. Maybe you can do the same with a customizable setup?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We use a 40G breeder for the sump on a 210G RR tank. Works very nicely.

Breeders are not as tall as most tanks of equal size and give you more head room if you are putting it in a stand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I am putting it underneath my stand, I have a 75, that I would really prefer not to dedicate to a sump right now, I had a 40g breeder, but I gave it to a friend, I told them they could have a tank for free(good friend, just broke up wants to get back into reptiles, or fish) and he picked the 40 over the 75, but anyways I will have to figure it out, I am trying to see if we have an acrylic fabricator int he area that will lemme get scraps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I have put putzing around on my drawing board, and I have yet to put it to computer, however I do not think that I am going to be able to fit a tank under there and still be able to work on it.

With that in Mind I was thinking about constructing the Sump out of plywood, and using pond liner, my only concern with that would be installing my heaters into the Sump and the Liners.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have thought about a plastic storage bin.

My two issues with this is that, the stand is barely much wider than the tank which at the rim(widest part) is 19.5inchs and there aren't many totes I can get in there that would be significant size that I want without having to utilize two totes and plumbing them together with an equalization tube, which I do not want to do.

The plywood lets me put the exact dimensions that I want, and I am completely unable to get acrylic in the sizes that I want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts