Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a 220gal tank, and I was wondering if a 55gal is a sufficient size sump for it?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
55 gallon sump should handle that size tank easily. :thumb:

How much volume do you plan to run thru it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, I haven't got that far yet. I was thinking of using either a MAG 12 or 18 pump. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Depends on your drain(s) back to the sump. I had a Mag18 & Mag7 on a 210 and it was not enough for two 1"Ø thin wall dursos into 1-1/4"Ø PVC to keep them quiet. All the charts and tables out there say it should have been.

If you use (2) 1"Ø drains go with the Mag18 or 24. :thumb:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help! I'm sure I will need more help once I actually get everything in. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The size of the sump is not nearly as important as the size of the bio colony that can be established. You could have a 10 gallon sump full of media that is more effective than a 55 gallon with little media. However, the larger sumps are better for making sure they don't overflow in the event of a power outage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm running a 40g sump on my 210g. I would have preferred something larger but the 40g came at a great price and left me plenty of room under the stand for my canister filters, three pumps, etc. Make sure you have room for enough of the bio/mechanical media you plan on using. I'm using Seachem Matrix, so far all is well.

Your sump design must allows for adequate overflow in case of power outage or turning the pumps off for whatever reason.

Flow is more dependent on your plumbing. I'm running two ReeFlo Snapper's on my setup, guessing I'm pushing about 3000 gph with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.