Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have replaced the pump in my sump with a new one and I have had to unplug my heaters now and i was wondering if this type of heating is normal or what. The only thing I have plugged in to run my 135gallon, with a 60 gallon sump is my

5-msp pump

If u search that name it comes up with the right pump only its blue..... mine is black ^^

Anyways i'm wondering what would be a better pump to get if this is not necessarily a good thing.

Oh my water is at 81 but i just unplugged a rena smart heater....though i don't know that it was necessarily turning on if the tank is at 80+ degrees and i have it set to like 78

any information would be great. thanks people.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have the same situation. My mag24's heat the water to the point of not needing heaters in my 180 gallon dual tank systems. I put the heaters in and set them a bit low, so if the furnace goes out, and it gets cold, they'll heat then. Part of my problem is having almost 800 gallons of water in a very closed space. The temp you have going right now is fine, but you have to watch the summer months. If it's warm out, but not warm enough for AC, my tanks can go up in the mid 80's. It's never been a problem for the fish,but I keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, I really couldn't find a pump that'd push what I needed it to without heating the water. Nature of the beast. Although I've seen that there's a hi-efficiecy pump that has a bit lower wattage. Not sure if it'd make a whole lot of difference, and I'd have to spend over $600 to replace all four and find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whats your bio load like? I'd like to say thats a pretty big pump, your turn over is probably like 10-12x an hour right? Also whats your drain size? If you have like a 1' drain the big pump size doesnt matter cuz it wont drain as fast as it pumps. I have a pump in my 40g sump with a flow rate of 600gph going into a 110G. I turn my heater off when its above 80 outside cuz it will warm up above 85. I figured im turning my tank over about 6-7 times an hour so I put an aquaclear 70 on the back and boom. My tank looks ridiculously clean and I cut my power bill in half and my pump was only 40 bucks, I used to have a little giant too and it was a pain, hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I swapped out two magdrives for a single hy-drive, manufactured by dannermag.

It uses less wattage and temps dropped by a degree or two in 250 gallons. I still have heaters but the only time they operate is during WC's if I am off with the water temp. It maintains ~78°F here with ambient room temp of 68°.

Four of these pumps will cost at least $600. Can't give a link to where I bought mine :roll: PM me if you need the link :wink:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Providing links to hard to find items is ok. Promoting online sources because you've had a good experience with pricing, service, etc is not. Please use the reviews section for that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have ended up replacing the pump with

2x quiet one 2200 aquarium / pond pump

They are small little blue pumps using a magnetic drive producing 587gph. The pumps are from petsmart..... their 70 bucks each at that store. :roll:

I was liking not having two returns, I know running these two things runs about 5$ a month.... not sure if thats good or bad. I still need to check and see how much the other one was costing....the fact that it replaces the heaters though might make it cheaper.

Thanks for all the replys, they are much appreciated!

:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts