Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I'm laid off from work for another two weeks and I am bored so I'm gonna build a sump for my 55 gal. I already have a 10 gallon tank I used on it last time. I was just hoping some of you would do me a favor and post some photos of your homemade sumps so I could get some more ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just so everyone know I did it on my own with no pics. Thanks alot =D>

·
Registered
511 Posts
deisel10 said:
This comment will most likely lead to 2 things:

1)people will jump immediately the next time you ask for help (yes, sarcasm)

2)people just won't care what you do

It can be frustrating when you don't get replies, but no one is obligated to oblige you.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I didn't respond simply because I believe a 10g sump on a 55 would only add to your regular maintenance. HOB's or canister are more than enough to handle this size tank. A 10g sump would need to be checked daily. Don't get me wrong it can be done, but why? Just my $.02
Hopefully you completed a successful project and would like to share pics.
Here's mine
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=215750&start=0

·
Registered
511 Posts
Malawi_Junkie said:
Awesome job by the way. Free acrylic??? I was at our local shop and it's ~$11/sq.ft. for 1/4" or 6mm. They do have an odds & ends section but certainly not free...looks like I need to find a used aquarium and make the baffles from glass to keep costs down. I'm sure you've seen the acrylic sumps Marc makes here (several links to pics at the bottom of the page): http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html they're amazing!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chiroken said:
deisel10 said:

It can be frustrating when you don't get replies, but no one is obligated to oblige you.
I agree. It was more of a joke than anything. I wasn't looking to make anyone angry or sound like anyone owes me anything. However I have found that on this forum (not so much in M.E.) but with other posters new to the hobby, that the mods are the only ones interested in being helpful thus they are very busy. And now that I have posted that I'm very interested in seeing who want to attack me. Thats just what I have noticed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
I didn't respond simply because I believe a 10g sump on a 55 would only add to your regular maintenance. HOB's or canister are more than enough to handle this size tank. A 10g sump would need to be checked daily. Don't get me wrong it can be done, but why? Just my $.02
Hopefully you completed a successful project and would like to share pics.
Here's mine
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=215750&start=0
TO TRUE! It was was terrible so I went back to the HOB. I just wish someone had instilled that in me before I took on a use less project, but I supose from now on I'll know better.

·
Registered
511 Posts
deisel10 said:
chiroken said:
deisel10 said:

I agree. It was more of a joke than anything. I wasn't looking to make anyone angry or sound like anyone owes me anything. However I have found that on this forum (not so much in M.E.) but with other posters new to the hobby, that the mods are the only ones interested in being helpful thus they are very busy. And now that I have posted that I'm very interested in seeing who want to attack me. Thats just what I have noticed.
Hey, no harm no foul. Your 2nd post just didn't come across as a joke to me, whatever your actual intention was. Wanting to see who'll attack you? Kind of a weird approach for a forum based on sharing information and helping one another. Don't know why you would post to see who would attack you, especially considering you only meant your post to be a joke...sort of contradicting yourself. Hope you don't think my post was an attack, it was simply pointing out the obvious to anyone that took your 2nd post the "wrong" way apparently.

Yes, sometimes moderators do a large amount of the replies on forums. Their keen interest in the subject is one of the reasons they are most likely moderators in the first place. I'm not too sure how much of a feel you could have for this forum as you joined April 20th, 2011 and posted this thread only 4 days later.

A tip, going back to your original post (of which I only read the first time the day of my reply, after your second post) would be to search in google for something like "aquarium sump" and click on the upper left corner "images" rather than "web". Fast and easy. Then bring specific questions to a forum for clarification or suggestions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure how joining april 20th has alot to do with the "feel" I have of the forum. I am a member of several other forums, some having to do nothing with fish keeping, and I find that people are alot more keen to answer questions. I have spent alot of time searching around this forum and that was something I noticed. When I posted my second comment I was joking but it is strange that almost a month later a comment is made about what I will gain from saying what I said. I did do a google search but I thought because this is "a forum based on sharing information and helping one another." That it would also be handy to have a few photos that maybe aren't on the web or this forum yet of good ideas.
I didn't say I wanted to see who would attack me just that I was interested. I would think that anyone who took my second post the wrong way went ahead and already did what you pointed out, because there were no more comments. I'm just curious why you decided to post on a thread a month old with no other posts what would happen if I made a facetious comment. I guess that feels a bit like an attack.

·
Registered
511 Posts
First of all your post was less than 2 wks old. Hardly "a month old" as your last line states.

Why did I take that long to reply? Read my post...I only read your post on the 13th. I read it because I am searching several forums that I belong to about sumps as I will be building one in the near future. I was hoping your thread might bring me closer to designing mine.

Why haven't others made any comments? Most probably couldn't be bothered and most don't have it in their nature to speak up. For example, buddy in front of you walking down the sidewalk throws his cigarette butt on the ground. What percentage speak up and tell him to pick it up? (and don't make any comparisons between you and a cigarette butt, it's mearely an example I've used.) Guaranteed it rubbed others the wrong way too. How many? I have no idea. I doubt many put too much thought into it, I have already done so myself. It's funny though how good the memory is of people on forums I've found.

You can take it as an attack or as a heads up. It's your choice and I'm not affected either way. Often people might say or do something that they don't necessarily realize how it comes across or is interpreted by others. Welcome to the word of text communication versus actual face to face discussion.

A great way to let everyone know that you figured it out and that the thread is essentially closed could have been to say "Just so everyone know I figured it out" rather than "Just so everyone know I did it on my own with no pics =D> "

Have a good evening...

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
If we can all get back to the topic of fish keeping and drop the forum etiquette lesson, that'll be appreciated! Thanks

deisel10, sorry you didn't get many replies initially... it was likely your request for pics. Posting pics is very time consuming and requires the poster to be able to actually take decent photos with a digital camera! Not going to happen from me... I'm very capable in so many ways, but the photography gene is absent in my household!
:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got it Number6. Sorry to everyone who takes time to read this thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Think of the fish guys! :D

Personalities clash, no big deal. This might sound ironic, but if you could post a pic of the sump, I'd be interested in seeing how it turned out :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I made one but as Malawi_Junkie said it was way to much to deal with I had to mess with it like twice a day because the pump would go dry and I could not get it dialed in. When it would run it was filtering great but just to much trouble. I took the pipe I used and built a UGF useing the pump as well. I built the filter using filter fabric from an HVAC filter ( I think this stuff works great) the blue stuff that looks like fiberglass fabric and an old egg tube from work I'll post the pics after I get some batts for the camera.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.