Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to finish up the 150 gallon setup to start cycling just need to add my cichlid sand and cichlid rocks (40 total). My one question is the filter media I have will that be enough for nowin the sump? Do have a sponge to put on top but wondering If possible I should add more. I have the duel bonded filter pad and then a good bit of filter floss. Also have one more gallon of bio balls on the way.

Also have a mag drive 1800 for the sump pump, maxijet 1200, Hydor Koralia 4 and emperor 400. Enough flow rate?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It really just depends on your bioload. That could be perfect, it could be more than needed, or it could be less. Your design is good though, it looks like if you had to add more it would be fairly easy. In the beginning stages of your stocking I think you have enough.

If it helps, for a 75 gallon I think I have around 2-3 gallons of bioballs in my sump.

Your flow rate looks just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any thoughts on the sealant? Was used for a year from the guy I bought it from with no problems but not sure from the looks on the edges. It does hold water as I had it for 4 days dilled

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Its probably fine. There are actually two parts of silicone on aquariums. The first, is the structural joint that holds the glass panes together. The second, is a seal that is used to prevent leaks. The joint is the major structural component of the tank, the seal is just a fail safe preventative measure. One of my tanks is much worse than that, visible air pockets in the joint, and it's been running just fine for about 2 years. Just be careful when cleaning those areas of the tank with a scrubber/razor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh cool. Was really hoping it was ok so I can start cycling this weekend. Well at least thats good to hear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts