Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I currently have 4 rusties that are about 1 year old and doing really great. I just moved them into my cycled 55 gallon tank (traditional size-4ft long) and am hoping to get some suggestions on what to purchase to complete the stocking. What are your thoughts on these options or possible alternative suggestions? If I had more money I would go the Demasoni/Yellow lab route but I live in Vermont and have been unable to locate them for less than $18/Demasoni and at this point I do not want to deal with mail order.

Option 1:
4 Rusty
4 Yellow Lab
6 Cynotilapia (possibly Cobue, etc) or like color/species (really like coloring and bars)

Option 2:
4 Rusty
4 White Lab
6 Saulosi

Option 3:
4 Rusty
4-5 Socolofi
4-5 Mbamba

Tank has good filtration, currently I have an Aquaclear 110 but I also have an Eheim 2213 that I just need to get reattached to the tank. I have the black Eco-Complete African Cichlid substrate and a good amount of rockwork in the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mean to add that i've had the Rusties for a full year, I had them in a smaller 20g tank while I went back and forth on whether I wanted to get back into fish or rehome them. They are around 2-2 1/2" in size. I know 20g was def too small but they did really well and now are super happy to be in the larger tank!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think option 1 sound pretty good. I just added cynotilapia afra (jalo reef) to my tank and the colours are stunning. They are a little aggressive and territorial but nothing too serious if you have plenty of rock work in your tank

·
Registered
625 Posts
Out of the choices you have listed: option 1.

But what about:
4 Rusty
6 Saulosi
4 Orange Zebra or Hongi or 3 acei?

They are all dimorphic so once you get the right ratio it would be like you had 6 different looking fish in one tank.

I also know they say Acei will not work in a 55, but could a group of 3 maybe work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and bought 4 yellow labs. Cichlids are def expensive in my area but I do plan on buying about 6 Cynotilapia, i'd like to go with Cobue if I can get them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's always the option of buying online, which is what I'm doing. Better selection than any lfs around Philadelphia. Good luck and post some pics when you can! :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I know ordering online is an option but with overnight shipping costs to Vermont it ends up costing about the same if not more. My lfs charges about 12.99 per fish for cynotilapia species. I just need to save up some money and put in an order for them. Hopefully I can do so within the next couple of months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Understandable. I know certain states have different costs. Unfortunately it's my only option, but to order online. The selection here isnt too good. Good luck to you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts