Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to stock my 75 with Mbuna. It's a standard 4 foot 75 nothing special. I've already ordered Msobo's and Hongi. Looking for a third and forth species to go with them. I'd prefer a species with colored females but I'm not stuck on that if the males are nice enough. Thanks ahead for the input!

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Socolofi would give you light solid blue, would be quite different from the others. Labeotropheus trewavasae with OB females? Hard to avoid overlap with a four species. You don't want another barred male if you want your Hongi to look halfway decent. Msobo females have the yellow-orange color down. Always could go with the rather boring Rusty for a mild fourth species.

·
Registered
449 Posts
nolajeff said:
Decided to go with Demasoni, Msobo's and Albino Socolofi.
Demasoni do not play well with others, or each other for that matter; they are aggressive little buggers. I have a tank full of them...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Demasoni are aggressive towards each other not other species. The reason people have issues with them is because they kill each other off. Plenty of people keep them with other species successfully.

·
Registered
449 Posts
nolajeff said:
Demasoni are aggressive towards each other not other species. The reason people have issues with them is because they kill each other off. Plenty of people keep them with other species successfully.
I am speaking from my own experience as I have been keeping Demasoni for a couple years. I have a species tank with 3 males and 12 females with no killing of each other, although there was some internal aggression until I got the balance correct. Every time I have put more than 1 in a "community" tank I have had problems. Your experience may differ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't doubt anything your saying I just know from research that a lot of people have success keeping multiple species with Demasoni but everybody experiences are going to be different with all species of fish especially Demasoni.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Demasoni are challenging so you will likely read at least as many horror stories as success stories.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
Demasoni are challenging so you will likely read at least as many horror stories as success stories.
The reason I wanted them is because of the challenge. Been doing the all male peacock/hap thing for years now and I'm just bored with it. Figured I'd do something different to keep my interest in the hobby. Plus imo a Mbuna species tank will be a whole different experience as far as behavior goes. I understand the challenge a Demasoni colony can present hopefully I'll luck up and get a batch that will "get along". This is kinda my dream tank so I wanted to go ahead and give it a go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts