Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for your suggestions on putting together my new 75 gallon tank (18"L x 48"W x 21"H). I'll be going with sand substrate and a heavy amount of rocks (thinking Ohko Stone) with a light amount of fake plants to give the appearance of moss on the rocks. I want to make this tank an all male tank (no interest in breeding and I want the diversity). I know that part can present it's own challenge but I want to try it. I think I want to mostly do Mbuna and OB Peacocks but I'm open to others. I'll add a Pleco and probably a Pictus Cat or Synodontis Cat as well. I'm thinking around 12=14 Cichlids that will grow into the 4-6" range mostly? I'd like suggestions on which specific species you all might suggest.

My top wants currently are a Demasoni and Bumble Bee. The Demasoni is a personal fave and my kid really loves the Bumble Bee so those two are kind of locked in short of something unknown to me. Looking forward to hearing thoughts from you all.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It's hard to do an all-male tank with mbuna like demasoni and bumblebee (really crabro). Read the all-male tank article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros, cons. Extra tanks, rehoming plan, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I've actually read that article a couple times as well as a few others on doing the all male tank setup. Im aware it may be a bit of a challange but I'm willing to try it. I was just curious if anyone might have suggestions on some specific mbuna species that might be better to work with. *** read the OB Peacoks are aggressive enough to hold their own, because they are a Hybrid, hence my thought on using them. I've also been told you can get away with Electric Yellows in about any setup?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Male tanks are hit or miss. All you need are 12 males that look nothing alike. I have never been able to come up with a list of 12 mbuna that look nothing alike though. So many are blue barred and yellow-orange.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's an issue I'm running into, hence the question. Thanks for the response though. On a different topic how does the Demasoni and the Maingano get along in your 75gal tank together?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
They are good together, but an all-male tank is a completely different behavior expectation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts