Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the wrong silicone (twice) and had to destroy my background piece by piece to get it out. Now *** scraped as much of it off the tank as will come off but i notice theres still some smudges. Does anyone have suggestions on what i could use to scrub off the remaining residue and also the silicone particles that are all over the tank. I would think that some kind of acetone or paint thinner would work but i dont think that would be wise to use on the inside of the tank. Any suggestions on what to use to clean this **** up?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I always use new razor blades and it comes off really good..just takes a little time and patience..
Good luck...

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
As many new razor blades as it takes to remove any remaining silicone residue, paper towel or dry rag to dislodge 'crumbs', and a shop vac removes loose particles. I use denatured alcohol to clean glass surfaces prior to applying new silicone caulk.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Acetone or paint thinner will work. I have used it in my tanks with no problem. Afterwards, I just thoroughly rinsed the tanks, filled with a bleach solution, then rinsed again and let dry. Fish are living in the tanks right now and that was 10 years ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used new razors and got as much off as i could... then i swept up most of the crumbs and used wet paper towels to pick up the rest... hopefully it will be ok.. i filled up the tank and am running it with the filters on and later 2nite im going to change the filter media to new jus in case any of the silicone got in the filter.. how much of the wrong kind do you think has to be in the tank for it to be poisonous to the fish? im gonna toss a goldfish in there later and see if it lives for 3 days and if so then its all good

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
When did you put the new silicone in? There is a required drying time before you can add water to the tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didnt put new silicone in i siliconed a background in and had to destroy it to get it out then scraped out the old silicone and i have a different background to put back in with a different silicone

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
You started this thread on how to remove old silicone from your previous background installation on May 11.
Yet on May 11, you have already installed a new background and added water to the tank.

There was no time to allow the silicone to cure before you added water to the tank. I waited at least a week before I added water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
noooo i didnt install a new background... i got impatient and i jus got it out as best i could.. i suppose i should have started the thread a few days earlier i didnt think of it till last minute... i filled the tank up with no background and jus ran it with filters for a few days... nnow today im changing out all the media in the filters and throwing a bunch of cheap comet goldfish in it to see if they all live for more than 2 or 3 days then i have to move all the peacocks and haps that are in my other 125 into that tank and move the sand so that i can move the 125 they were in onto a metal stand and then im going to put a background in that tank.. then i have to let that cure for 4 or 5 days run it with filters and no fish and do big bater changes for 4 days and then move the fish back after testing first with goldfish to make sure its kosher.. by then the background that i have coming for the 125 i had to scrape should be here and i will reattach it with the right silicone... basically i am in fishtank **** right now my house is destroyed and my girl is buggin cuz theres rocks and fishtank parts everywhere im doing 5 backgrounds so i have to move fish from one tank to the other so i can drain and put the backgrounds in.. should be done in a few weeks hopefully... i was really wondering how much of that silicone is considered toxic.. like if i left a few smudges on there i hope its ok

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I now understand what you mean.

I know how frustating it gets when you are trying to do multiple projects at once. The best advice I can give you is, pause and take a deep breath. It really does help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts