Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted to keep a nice yellow fish that isn't a lab or saulosi what would you keep?

I already have Cyn Lion Mara Rocks which is a nice dull yellow color on the females but am thinking of adding some more color to my rather dominantly brown and blue color palette.

Here are the ones in the running, please give me your thoughts.

Metriaclima Hajomaylandi

Metriaclima sp. ''Lime Nkhomo'' Mbenji

Metriaclima sp Kingsizei Lupingu (not a leader in the running as the only source I know of has WC only)

Metriaclima sp Msobo Magunga

Pseudotropheus Ndumbi Gold

Petrotilapia sp Small Blue Nkhata

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Msobo or Membe Deep.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Msobo or Membe Deep.
With that choice would I need to rehome my polits given how similar the male is?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
dotbomb said:
DJRansome said:
Msobo or Membe Deep.
With that choice would I need to rehome my polits given how similar the male is?
Almost definitely for the Membe Deep. Maybe for the Msobo, but maybe not.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Msobo pattern seems a bit more random. I would guess it depends on how that specific male colors up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What about Tropheops chilumba? Males are really nice and the females are yellow. Scrappy fish tho but not crazy aggressive. I love mine lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a big fan of the msobos, but I've also been tempted by the M. sp. "zebra gold." Plus, the zebras come in OB (if you're a fan of such things).

·
Registered
268 Posts
What about a trio of Melanachromis Interruptus. A little boisterous but stunning fish.
I have six in my Mbuna tank.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All great looking fish and good suggestions.

That's the problem with cichlids... too many to choose from!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Outcastgsx said:
What about Tropheops chilumba? Males are really nice and the females are yellow. Scrappy fish tho but not crazy aggressive. I love mine lol
I've heard Tropheops Chilumba can be absolutely psycho.

One guy relayed a story of how he's only had them one time and a single male of the group killed every other Chilumba he had. He said he's never seen a fish with such a singular focus in killing other fish. He said both auratus and demasoni at least get distracted by other fish at times where the Chilumba he had was 100% focused on taking out fish one by one.

Perhaps this was an exception to the rule though. How long have you kept your Chilumba? They are amazing looking fish and if it weren't for this story I'd probably buy them honestly.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GTZ said:
Metriaclima aurora, Metriaclima sp. 'lime'.
Lime definitely appeals to me. I have a lot of striped blue fish and so I think I'm leaning towards lime over aurora even though the aurora striping isn't as bold as my other fish. Once again both are good looking fish :drooling:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dotbomb, I have only had them alittle over a week so I guess I really cant make a accurate assumption of there behavior. I heared all the storys about them too but I wanted to see it for my self. So far so good tho :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well enjoy them! They are great looking fish. I really hope they work well for you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I have settled on Metriaclima sp. ''Msobo'' since they will provide the most contrast as a group. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
129 Posts
have you thought about labidochromis perlmutt? *** had these with mara rocks,chewere and polits and seemed to work fine.they look great with chewere IMO.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I considered both Ps. Flavus and Perlmutt and they didn't make the cut. Flavus males are striking but the females are pretty dull. I think those tones and the perlmutt tones would get lost among some of my other females and their coloration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts