Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of cons, which naturally means bucket loads of fry on a regular basis. Since the convict market in my area is more or less saturated, I was thinking of getting a small piscivore (carnivore who eats mostly fish) that could eat the fry. Can anyone point me to one that would do well in a 10 gal tank? Any fish, invertebrate or other will do, preferably something common that I could likely find at my lfs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, I would prefer something interesting to watch, not just a group of tetras. More like a lone predator or a group/trio of predators.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the thought of a dwarf pike. I haven't seen them around here, but it's possible I could order one in (my tight budget is also a factor, but we'll see). Would a small pike (maybe c. regani?) be ok in a ten gallon? And would they be happy with a mix of live convict fry and pellets/flakes for their diet?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thought I had would be a crawfish, although I'm not sure how effective it would be in catching those quick convict fry. My lfs has a few, they are just labelled "crawfish" without any more info... they are a plain brown colour... anyone have experience with crawfish?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think a regani would be ok in a 10. I don't have any experience with them myself though. I do have to say in a 10 with a breeding pair of cons, most anything will be hard pressed to survive. If you keep the regani by itself in a 10 and just add fry for it to eat, I think that would be fine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cons are in a 75, the 10 will be for just one fish and the fry that it eats. If my lfs can get regani in for a reasonable price I think I'll go with one of those, if not I'll look into the crawfish a bit more to see if they would work.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update: I picked up a crawfish, he's doing an incredible job. I'd estimate that he's eaten 80 convict fry in the past 4 days... little glutton running around stuffing them into his mouth. And today when I gave him a break he's been sifting through the sand looking for leftovers. Very entertaining to watch, and he's not shy in the least. He comes out with claws in the air anytime I come around the tank. Here's some pics.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If the crayfish is in the same tank as the convicts the adult pair may tear it apart after it molts. It will be vulnerable for hours until the new shell hardens.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up toddnbecka. The craw is in a seperate 10 gal, the cons are in a 75.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.