Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 75G mixed mbuna tank set up for quite a while now and am having good success with it. I have a 24G Nanocube I want to get going. Any suggestions with what and how many I could put in there? I want to stick with mbuna.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
baisley101 said:
I've had a 75G mixed mbuna tank set up for quite a while now and am having good success with it. I have a 24G Nanocube I want to get going. Any suggestions with what and how many I could put in there? I want to stick with mbuna.
I calculate that must be ~17"x17"x17" if its a cube?

Unfortunately, I can't think of any mbuna that will work in such a small tank as adults, in a permanant setup. The only time I would stick mbuna in there is if it were a single adult in isolation (i.e. hospital tank), or maybe for fry/juvies under 2".

Anything else you would consider? That sounds like it would make a nice tank for some tanganykan shell dwellers like similis, multis, brevis, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
There aren't any adult mbuna that would tolerate each other in that size tank.
But you could use it as a growout tank (up to an inch and a half or so) if you'd like to raise offspring from your mbuna that live in your 75.

That sounds like it would make a nice tank for some tanganykan shell dwellers like similis, multis, brevis, etc.
Agreed.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
You could keep a single male saulosi in that tank but he would most likely be dull in color (compared to one kept with other fish or females).

On one occasion i had to keep a full grown saulosi in a 10g for a month and he seemed very happy just the color was very dull. Currently i have a adult male saulosi in a 20g by himself and he looks/acts super happy but once again the color is dull compared to one that has females or other fish in with him.

Ideally you wouldnt want to keep any mbuna in there but if you wanted a mbuna i would do one male saulosi or maybe one male cyno afra.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
"Very happy" and "dull" are contradictory terms.

I wouldn't even throw a single male mbuna in that tank. I'd go either small Tangs or a pair of Apistos or convicts or something.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
"Very happy" and "dull" are contradictory terms.
Not when one is describing the color (dull) while the other is describing the attitude (very happy).

I have noticed with many many mbuna and peacocks that their color is not as vibrant when they are seperated as when they were with other fish. Yet there attitude and eating habits are still top notch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks for your imput guys. I may go with a shell dweller setup. I just don't have any experience with them.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Its been over a year now since I bought my 33XL tank. Its original purpose was going to be a shellie tank. I've been using it pretty consistently to shuffle mbuna round though, but one day, it will be a shellie tank.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
baisley101 said:
THanks for your imput guys. I may go with a shell dweller setup. I just don't have any experience with them.
Go Multies - you will get several generations living in there together as one colony, a way different experience than mbuna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.