Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I set up a 29g tank in one of my daughters room, with a trio of gold occies, and currently 6 juvenile Julie Transcriptus - and I have found I enjoy watching that tank the most :)

So, I would like to convert my 20g long into a Tanganyikan tank, it has sand and rocks and some live plants (Crypts and Swords).

I recently obtained some dwarf petricola fry which are less than 1", and was hoping that there were some fish suitable to go with those. Any suggestions other that Julies and Shell Dwellers ? I would like to try mouth brooders, are there any small enough for this sized tank ?

TIA,

Ian

·
Registered
656 Posts
With a 20L, You're pretty limited, if you want to keep more than one species. I can't think of any mouthbrooders that will work in a 20L. My suggestion would be to step up to a 30 or 40 breeder, the 36"x18" floor will give you a lot more flexibility when it comes to species selection, and I think you could do a group of callochromis(mouthbrooders) sand sifters in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love to upgrade to a bigger tank - but unfortunately I can't.

I didn't think there would be any mouth brooders suitable, but it was worth asking.

Would any other rock dwellers work with the Lucipinnis fry ? Altolamprologus Compressiceps/Calvus, Brichardi or Caudopunk's ?

If not, I will have 4 Julies I can put in there very soon.

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
656 Posts
If a larger tank isn't an option, it's best to stick with species that can live/breed in a 20L long term, so calvus/comps are out. The Caudo's would be OK, any of the dwarf Juli's(Transcriptus,Ornatus,Dickfeldi), or any of the small, common shelldwellers.

If you could get a second 20L, you could do a lot more experimenting, but it's hard without a backup plan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help,

I'll research the Caudopunk's more, but I think it would probably be best to put the Julies in there.

I do have some other tanks - a 62g (48x15x20), 29g and a 10g - but they are all "community" tanks, I would like to convert the 62g into an African tank one day, but probably wouldn't be for at least 6 months - thats one reason I bought the Dwarf Petricola's.

Ian

·
Registered
212 Posts
man I think you could put Comps or calvus in there. Caudopunctatus for sure. Im not sure what you got in there but if you put comps and caudos together that could work. My experience with comps calvus is they get along with most anything. Maybe cranky when breeding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

All I have in there are some guppies - which will be moved to one of the community tanks, and the Synodontis Lucippinis fry (< 1") - I just wanted to try a different Tanganyikan species to live with the Lucipinnis - as I already have some gold occies and julie transcriptus in another tank.

I wouldn't mind a pair of Calvus/Comps or Caudopunctatus - they would just have to be Ok in the 20L for at least 6 months.

Ian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts