Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am starting a 75 gallon bowfront tank. I am thinking of keeping one of the following combinations:

P. williamsi
P. acei
P. saulosi

OR

An all male show tank with various Haps and Peacocks. Does anyone have any suggestions for stocking for haps and peacocks if I decide to go that route? I was thinking of about 10 males from different groups. I can tell you the colors I like which are red, blue, yellow, maybe orange. Sorry I can't offer more background as I am just starting to learn a little more about the Haps and Peacocks. I am undecided between the above mbuna and the haps and peacocks because while I enjoy mbuna and have had them in the past I wouldn't mind having a little bit more peaceful display aquarium in my 75.

Thanks.

Karen

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 75G bowfront on the sides? I'm used to a 72G bowfront with 12" sides, so not sure what the 75G measurement would be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dimensions are 48 x 18 x 24. Thanks. Another combination I had thought of was P. acei, L. caeruleus and something like Protomelas steveni reef or another hap or peacock if that would work. I know one would not usually combine mbuna with other cichlids but I wondered if it would work with these milder mbuna. Any suggestions welcome.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
A 75G rectangle is 48 x 18. A 75G bowfront would have to have a different measurement, right? The height is not a big stocking factor, but the measurement of the sides (not the middle, bowed-out front) IS a stocking factor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. I did some research on the size of a 75 gallon bowfront and I have decided not to go with that. I have not gotten the tank yet and was going to take it as a trade but it ends up it is a corner tank so a lot less width than I need. I am looking now at a standard 75 or possibly a 100 or 110 gallon standard depending on how much I can get for an aquarium I am selling. Not sure if that helps with the input any but any input on species would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
For a 75G rectangle, and depending on the species selected, with mixed gender mbuna you could do four species and 1m:4f of each. Some species would be different.

For all male if you choose species that mature at 6" or less a dozen fish would work, maybe even a couple more. I tried an 8" borleyi in my 75G and I took him out. He looked way too big for the tank.

Browse through the profiles for fish that mature at 6" or less and look completely different, for example:
A. stuartgranti Maleri yellow
A. rubescens red
A. turkis light blue
A. stuartgranti Mdoka darker blue

There is a great all-male article in the library. Make sure you have spare tanks for the fish you have to remove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts