Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggest a school for a 55G heavily planted tank.

Inhabitants:
4 angels + 4 bolivian rams + pictus cat + ???????

Should be hardy. Not disturb plants. Colorful. Interesting to watch. Not become angel food. And it would be nice if they came from South America.

I see quite a few tetra varieties that look promising but rather than pick one randomly I want some first hand suggestions. Thx!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stiletto said:
Suggest a school for a 55G heavily planted tank.

Inhabitants:
4 angels + 4 bolivian rams + pictus cat + ???????

Should be hardy. Not disturb plants. Colorful. Interesting to watch. Not become angel food. And it would be nice if they came from South America.

I see quite a few tetra varieties that look promising but rather than pick one randomly I want some first hand suggestions. Thx!
Moenkhausia (lamp-eye tetras) are hardy, colorful and easy. Their red eyes look almost spooky when tightly schooled in a large group. They are a little bigger than most tetras so less vulnerable to predation/abuse.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I second pristella tetras, they're really pretty, and they're from SA :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about red/blue Columbian tetras? They are a larger tetra so will not become angel food. Their coloring is very beautiful and they never bothered the plants I had in my tank when I had them. If I get the chance to set up another tank I will definitely be adding these again.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i like lemon tetras. as they get healthy and bigger their colors really tend to pop. the yellows almost blend with the greens and then with the black accents and red eyes its a great contrast. they also stay under 2 inches and will work out long term with adult angels.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Pristella tetras were the first tetra I thought of, Lemons tetras are my personal favourite, and another good choice could be Diamond tetras.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.