Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
No substrate at all. Seriously though any substrate is going to have maintance. I think gravel causes less of a mess in your filter but gets really dirty and you have to siphon deep. Sand you just have to be careful siphoning or you will suck up sand.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Pool filter sand...its easy to clean, cheap and looks great! If you have enough water movement (powerhead or spraybar) the poop will get lifted off of the sand and your filters will pick it up.

I like watching my peacocks get a big mouthful of sand and food and sift the sand through their gills. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've used both gravel and sand. I think sand is easier and the fish prefer the sand over gravel anyway. After a little practice, it's easy to clean the sand by siphoning. You may suck up a little bit of sand here and there but not much to see a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...so I guess the pool filter sand I can get at a pool supply or Home Depot? I was thinking of going w/a ug jet (I think that's the right term) That seems like it would keep a lot of the bad stuff suspended so the filter will take care of it. Any thoughts on the ugj?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
lj1064 said:
Thanks...so I guess the pool filter sand I can get at a pool supply or Home Depot? I was thinking of going w/a ug jet (I think that's the right term) That seems like it would keep a lot of the bad stuff suspended so the filter will take care of it. Any thoughts on the ugj?
In my area, I was only able to find pool filter sand at pool supply stores. Home Depot and Loews didn't carry it. I've never used UGJ but have read if set up correctly they can work very well.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Try leslies or texsun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts