Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, have a quick 2 questions.

1. I didnt put enough research into my cichlids before venturing out so *** ran into a few problems, as im sure we all have, lol... So my question is my lfs sold me rocks roughly the size of pea gravel maybe a bit larger, after tonz of reading *** noticed pretty much everyone uses a smaller size substrate, crushed coral, PFS ect...am i ok with this, or do i take the time to try and switch out the substrate in an establish and stocked tank?

second question is, do heaters have thermostat problems, mine seems to be about 5 degrees cooler than the setting, meaning, i think i was on the verge of a ICH outbreak so i started the heat treatment, i currently have my heater set on 89 but my tank thermometer is saying its only 84 in the tank. common problem? replace? heater is only 6 weeks old

thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
If your tank is set up and cycled properly you can switch out the substrate if you want to. I kept mbuna for a long time with gravel. They were able to move it around to please themselves. Nowadays I do prefer sand as I think it's more natural. Switching wouldn't be that bad of a project really.

As for your heater it's not all that uncommon for the set point on the heater and the actual temperature to be off to some degree. That's why it's important to have a thermometer in the tank. As long as the temp is steady don't worry too much about what the number on the heater says.

·
Registered
587 Posts
How big is your tank and how long have you had it up and running when you say established?

It should be a fun project switching substrate. Do it, do it, do it! For smaller tanks it shouldn't take too long to do. You get to do a full bottom clean out. One advice if you do switch, take your time and make sure you clean the new substrate well or you will get cloudy water. Take small portion of substrate and clean it in a separate bucket.

What is the power rating of your heater and the size of your tank? Is the tank located in a heated room or a garage with no heat? I have a 75 gallon tank and use a 300W heater and works well. If you have a large tank with a small heater it may take longer to get the water to temperature. You are trying to maintain the water temperature and depending on the heat loss you may require a larger heater. My other thought is are you doing water changes quite often?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a 65 gallon tank, and been up and running for about 6 weeks...

300 watt heater, and yes it would be no problem because it holds a steady temp, the problem im having is i have a ICH outbreak and im try8ing the heat/salt solution, and with the heater set at 89 for the past two days i cant get the tank above 84...its in a heated room, usually ablut 68-70 constant temp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts