Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there a better vacuuming method other than the siphon type? I have aragonite and when I pour water in at water changes I see debris in one area. It gets stirred up. I run a wave maker (Only after water changes) to try and keep the debris suspened in the water column, but I'm not to sure how well of a job its doing in conjunction with my two HOB filters. I have the Aquaclear 110 and the 70 in a 55 gallon standard aquarium.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With anything approaching gravel vacuuming is essential. Have you tried the Python? Your tap water pressure creates extra suction if gravity alone is not enough.
Yes, we had one some years ago. It was 50' long if I remember. I know 25' would be to short.
My wife was taking care of the tank back then and she did not like it.

1) Hose to long and difficult to roll up and store away.
2) It was impossible to get all the water out after use and it would grow algae or bacteria. It would always have a black inside.
3) The valve gave her trouble. I remember her having to order a replacement once. And I'm not certain I could connect it our new sink faucet. Probably can by removing the aerator. Its one of those fancy faucets.

I think the siphon method is the best for me. I plan to buy some flexible clear hose (good stuff) and not use the large vacuum end that is on the one we have. I guess it really boils down to I hate to vacuum........lol
Oh....I would like to see if there are any attchments I could put on the end of the hose designed for tank vacuuming?
Thanks DJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts