Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gravel vacuuming once in a while is not only necessary, but it does a great deal to improve the entire health of the aquarium. It was the one thing that I DID do as a teenager even though I had no clue about fish keeping. It also keeps the gravel looking a LOT better.

That being said, I don't vacuum my sand substrate. The poop doesn't settle below the surface of it, and the current in my tank keeps the fish poop heading for the filter. I vacuum my other tank with gravel about every 2 months. Your tank may need it more or less based on fish load. That's my thinking anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi i noticed u have a 55gal all male mbunas tank…i have heard that all male tanks are mostly done for peacock and hap tank…and for mbunas the typcial ratio of male to female is done…U have done an all male mbuna tank…Does that work out fine? Also wat stocking du u have in that?
My males are getting along great. I should update my tag line or whatever it's called, because I just updated to a 75 gallon tank for the fun of it. They are all fat, happy, and content with each other. Now that I said that, I probably cursed myself! Surprisingly, the ones that look alike or are zebras are the ones getting along the best. But then, my fish have rarely followed the rules. I have an angelfish that always kills recommended tankmates but gets along with fish she shouldn't.

As for stocking, I have one of each species that I could get my hands on when I ordered them. I also added a Tomato Hap, an Obliquiden, and a Firefish when I was told they'd work with mbunas. So far so good. My mbunas are a Rusty, Goldbar, Red Zebra, Magunga, Chilumba, Yellow Acei, Ice Blue zebra, Polit, and Manda. My favorites are the White Lab, Jewel Spot, and Chewere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts