Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sand in my planted tank, some sort of silica blasting sand. The problem is that it's ultra fine and insanely white. This makes maintenance very difficult. I'd like to use pfs instead, but I don't want to disturb the plants and their root systems. I'm having to replish frequently, since the sand gets sucked up so easily when vacuuming, it seems if i come within 6 inches of it. Would it be a problem to layer pfs over top of it? Since it is so fine, would the layer underneath cause any problems?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I might try just adding some darker colored sand and stirring it in just a bit. Over time the finer sand will get sucked out and be gone. Meanwhile you have not disturbed the whole tank needlessly. When i've used all purpose or playsand in tanks, I've found that over time the smaller grains do get sucked up and I do need to replenish the sand. The look of the sand gets somewhat more "grain" to it. I just add sand to a small bowl and gently take it to the bottom and slowly pour it out so that I don't have to deal with the cloud of silt.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
I would add a little at a time and stir as suggested. This would be to maintain as much of the bacteria growing on the sand as possible by not cutting off oxygen to the whole layer of fine sand at once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts