Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an acrylic tank in order and I'm wondering if anyone has success using something that is less likely to scratch the acrylic.

My tank will not have live plants, just fish.
I have heard of some people using clay but it can get stirred up easily.

Any other ideas or can anyone share their experience with clay as a substrate.

Thanks!
Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I thought clay was even scratchier than sand...it's like cat litter, correct?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've run sand (the cheapest play sand I could find, no less - most folks here I'm sure will suggest PFS instead) substrate in acrylic tanks for years. Never had problems. You just want to be careful not to get sand in your algae pad when wiping down the surfaces. Also, I'm sure you're aware, but doesn't hurt to be redundant, make sure you use an algae pad made specifically for acrylic, the ones for glass can scratch. And don't use a razor on the tougher spots, just elbow grease.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Both my tanks are acrylic and I use pool filter sand for the substrate. I use a normal washcloth to wipe down the tanks walls, but an algae scraper with a plastic end that's made for cleaning acrylic tanks, for the lower down areas closer to the sand. The sand never gets caught between the scraper and the acrylic as I'm cleaning. Never had a problem.

Just search for acrylic aquarium algae scraper on amazon.com and you should find these pretty quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the quick responses.

I was getting worried that I might have chosen poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.