Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping I could get any help on a substrate change issue I am having.

I just changed my gravel in an already established tank to aragonite sand. I made sure to rinse the sand real good before placing into tank. The water still looks a little cloudy, and the nitrate were reading 50 on my test strip. What should I try to do to get the nitrates in the tank down?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you changed your substrate all at once, you may have removed a lot of your bacteria. Your tank may need some time to recover. Make sure you test for amonia and nitrIte also. If your tank goes through a mini cycle use PRIME and do water changes to keep your levels safe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I just tested my nitrite and it is at 0. My nitrate is still on the high side. I need to run out and get an ammonia test so I will be doing that soon.

I am doing small water changes now. I am putting my stress coat on the new water I am dumping into my tank, is that ok to do at this point?

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
2nd on the prime, it works fantastic

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frank1rizzo said:
after I switched to sand... it took about 5 days (and a couple water changes) for the water to totally clear up.
Hey Frank, did you do anything to your water or filters besides just doing water changes? My water does seem to be clearing up but my nitrate is still at 40 on my test strip. All my other levels seem to be fine, PH went down a little this morning though, but still around 7.0.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should I be putting stress coat in the new water I am putting into the tank to get any metals out of my tap water?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wanted to give everyone who helped me out an update. The water is just about crystal clear, probably within the next day or two. My nitrate is starting to go down as well. This morning it was at 40 and hopefully goes down some more.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out! Very much appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts