Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning out my next 2 tanks. I was thinking about stopping by and getting the pot scrubbies because I am doing a DIY sump.

Then I thought, "I have a ton of extra substrate sitting around, would that work as a bio filter instead?"

What are your thoughts? I know I would need smaller holes in the bottom of each drawer so it doesn't go through. As far as ability to grow the good bacteria would it work?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Just about anything that has a surface bacteria can adhere too will work. For bio-material you have to look at what can give you the greatest amount of surface area within the confines of your filter.

Scrubbies have a tremendous amount of usable area per cubic inch as compared to an equal volume of gravel. Depending on the bio-load of your tank you would need far less of the scrubbies to get the same bio-filtration as compared to a much larger amount of gravel.

Your wet/dry would have to be able to hold a lot of gravel to get the same filtration that just a few of the scrubbies would provide.

Here's a comparison chart. http://wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts