Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realized i need a a larger pump for my new set-up.Need 4.5feet of head height.
*** got a 180. i am considering :

Gen-X/ PCX70 external @ $179 w/ 1500gph at 3ft head. (Only head flow info i could find)

Supreme Mag-drive PondMaster Pro Proline Hy-Drive Pump 1600 @ $131 w/ 1450 +/- gph at 4.5ft(submersible)

Little Giant 3-MDQX-SC external (used craigslist) @$40 with about 950gph @ 4.5 ft

My concern is that *** only ever used submersible pumps and no experience with any of the pumps listed above and nothing to really refer to for comparison. Any input would be great thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The second one is a Danner MagDrive pump. Their pumps have an awesome reputation. I have no personal experience with the Proline, their flagship line of products, but I am running a Supreme 1800 and a Pondmaster 18 with my 240G tank. The pumps are identical except for a different length of the power cord. The pumps are built like a tank, very reliable, and super quiet. I can highly recommend them.

I also like the fact that they are submersible - no plumbing required, less chance for leaks, noise dampened by the surrounding water, and excess heat of the pump serves to help with heating the tank. The latter is a plus in Ohio, but might be a disadvantage in places where you need a chiller in summer.

I have no experience with the other pumps you are considering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts