Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my fish has what I thought could be ich. It isn't. (The dots are too big, and it wasn't affected at all with high salt/temp.)

Also I have tried coppersafe. So far I have seen no improvement. He doesn't seem to be hurting or anything. But I want to figure this out. I was told it could be something like Oodinium. I don't have and good photos at the moment, but well there are never a hug amount of white dots, but the go on scales or fins. I haven't seen it spread at all to the other fish. It has been easily over a month. (I treated first for at least 10 days on salt and temps about 86 degrees, then tried copper safe for about 3 weeks now.)

I will try to post more pictures, but I was thinking about doing a good water change to try to get out the coppersafe and then maybe Methylene Blue. It really can't be a bacteria if it is going so slow right?

Note water parameters all read good. This stuff will tend to go in stages from smaller dot to larger to disappear and of course other dots appear.

Though now after reading some more I haven't been checking the levels for the copper safe. (I have some stuff to check levels, just don't know if it works right with coppersafe.) And now I see Methylene Blue will kill the bacteria I don't want killed.

I think I might end up buying some Malachite Green and try to find some formalin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,008 Posts
It doesn't sound like Oodinium, (Velvet). Velvet is hard to see without looking for it. It's usually a rust or gray talc like film on the fish. Fish with Velvet will scratch and flash alot and their skin and fins will soon look tattered both from the parasites and all the scratching. The best way to see Velvet is by looking at your fish from different angles while shining a flashlight on them. The film may also show up in a picture of the fish if you use a flash.

But it really doesn't sound like you're dealing with a parasite. Sounds more like a fungus or bacteria. Not all bacterias kill fast. I would start with doing more frequent partial water changes, (every other day, 30% each time) to see if that helps and then if there's no improvement after a week or so you could try treating with an antibiotic or something like Jungle Fungus Clear.

Robin
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top