Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 that have got stuck on this year. I did not throw them out because I have a ideal. Could they be hooked up to a temp controller? Would this work with any heater that was stuck on? What y'all say?

·
Registered
216 Posts
These are Marineland Stealth heaters? I believe if you call them they'll do a warranty swap for you.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
krfhsf said:
I have 3 that have got stuck on this year. I did not throw them out because I have a ideal. Could they be hooked up to a temp controller? Would this work with any heater that was stuck on? What y'all say?
Yes, you can do that. Normally, you'd just crank them up all the way, but that's already done for you. Maybe that's a feature, not a bug :) Might be cheaper just to replace the heater, particularly as larry.beck said if they're under warranty.

·
2,088 Posts
Or you could cut your losses and get an Ebo Jager.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just did that..saved 12 broken old model Stealths the last 2 years, emailed Marineland, got the address were to send them, $9 postage is all it cost me, and 2wks later I received 12 brand new "Pro" Stealths!!! :thumb: :thumb: :D :D =D> =D>

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some of them were 5yrs old before they started to go bad..I have 42 tanks running at the moment....Every couple months 1 goes bad and I throw it in a box after 12 I sent them in.... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would still turn the dial all the up then connect them to a controller.

·
Registered
87 Posts
smitty said:
I second this (and have done this for several years), with one exception: I only turn the dials up a couple of degrees higher than I have the controller set. If the controller itself gets stuck in the on position, the heaters won't heat the tank too high. Assuming their own thermostats are working properly, of course.

·
Registered
497 Posts
they just re-designed them I guess. I bout one that lasted 2 months. Bought the 2nd after I was told about them recognizing and issue and replacing it. 1 month in now so far so good....... better last or I'll personally deliver it LOL :x

·
Registered
305 Posts
wilpir said:
Some of them were 5yrs old before they started to go bad..I have 42 tanks running at the moment....Every couple months 1 goes bad and I throw it in a box after 12 I sent them in.... :thumb:
Awesome - 42 tanks! Do you run a LFS or is this in your house?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
wilpir said:
I just did that..saved 12 broken old model Stealths the last 2 years, emailed Marineland, got the address were to send them, $9 postage is all it cost me, and 2wks later I received 12 brand new "Pro" Stealths!!! :thumb: :thumb: :D :D =D> =D>
The fact they are so willing to warranty 12 new stealth pros no question asked scares me. These are the ones that have been giving people major headaches, myself included. I had one stick off(luckily) in my shellie tank. I noticed it when the water temp dropped to 70. They did warranty it, but I opted for the regular glass visitherm. I've had good luck with them. Do a search for "exploding and/or broken stealth pro" and see what I mean. I wouldn't use another pro. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
DrgRcr said:
wilpir said:
The fact they are so willing to warranty 12 new stealth pros no question asked scares me. These are the ones that have been giving people major headaches, myself included. I had one stick off(luckily) in my shellie tank. I noticed it when the water temp dropped to 70. They did warranty it, but I opted for the regular glass visitherm. I've had good luck with them. Do a search for "exploding and/or broken stealth pro" and see what I mean. I wouldn't use another pro. Just my .02
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... 81#1565681

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks for the link GTZ. Interestingly, if I recall correctly, I remember reading a thread from somewhere else that referenced a different lot number like 01G31 or something like that. I know for a fact the one I had a problem with was not from an "H" lot. Regardless, I wouldn't own another.

·
Registered
929 Posts
SonsOfLeda said:
smitty said:
I second this (and have done this for several years), with one exception: I only turn the dials up a couple of degrees higher than I have the controller set. If the controller itself gets stuck in the on position, the heaters won't heat the tank too high. Assuming their own thermostats are working properly, of course.
That's what I do. Controller set at 78 and heater set at 82.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Have you guys noticed that most online vendors are Clearancing these Stealth Pro Heaters out... ?????

And they do not have any plans to re-stock these once the supply runs out... so I've heard.

It's a bad design... bad product overall... but atleast the warranty and customer service is excellent...

Not sure if that matters much.. when a $20 heater can cause $20k in water damage though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts