Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a bloat issue that I can't seem to kick fully! Here is all the info you should need!
* I have a 75 gallon with only 2 cichlids and 1 pleco.
* My sick cichlid is in a 10 gallon which has a bubbler, a fluval pump that has ran for over a year, no gravel and minimal decor.
* Water parameters:
-Temp is 78 F.
-Ammonia is 0.
-Nitrite is 0
-Ph is 7.6
-Nitrate is 20.
*I have had this cichlid for 5 months, got it from a aquarium store called "fish world", I've had zero problem with this cichlid besides now, first symptom was not eating which I didn't think was too odd so I left him (guessing it's a him) in our 75 gallon for another day, next day he was bloated, didn't eat and showed zero interest, swam steange and either stayed at the top or bottom of the tank I then moved him into a 10 gallon and started looking up his symptoms which seemed a lot like Malawi bloat, I then treated the 10 gallon with general cure and followed directions on the box, day 4 he started eating again but minimal still was bloated but only near the anus, day 6 I did a 30% water change noticed he wasn't eating/ tried to eat but would spit it back out so I did another dose of G.C on day 7. It is now day 9 he is eating and swallowing but minimal, his anus is still bloated and hasn't shown any signs of anything coming out, he always has either been hanging at the top or swimming frantically then settles then starts again. I am supposed to add another dose today then wait 4 days change the water/ add carbon back in but he seems to be showing the same exact signs as last time which only a 70% cure rate. I must add I do not feed him daily, I try to feed him on day 2,4 and 6.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Any advice? Thank you! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear about your sick fish. Who prescribed the treatment you followed? I ask since it's different from what my supplier told me when my peacocks & haps had bloat, which is the same as what I'd read later somewhere here on this forum. He told me to use Metronidazole for at least 7-10 days, during which time I was not to feed them anything.

I used Seachem Metroplex and thankfully both my little Phenochilus Tanzania started eating a little again after about 14-18 days. A few unidentified fish in the group that were more swelled-up by the time I started treatment died. This was about 4 months ago. These were part of a new group of twenty-nine 2.5"-3" all male peacocks & haps I put in a 180gal. My Phenochilus are growing and looking real nice right now.

I've pretty new to keeping Malawi but from the little I know I'd recommend not feeding for longer during the treatment, and when you start feed with metronidazole-treated food. Also take out any chemical filtration you have. Keep up regular water changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.