Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a new filter in my tank & it is causing a very strong current. My fish are finding it difficult to swim freely.

What should I do???

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
What kind of filter is it (i.e. canister with spraybar or HOB)? Do you have any control of the direction of the outtake? What tells you your fish are having a problem with it? What kind of fish do you have?

We need more information.

Generally having the outtake pointing upwards near the water surface will reduce flow within the tank because the water being pumped back into the tank will mainly be agitating the surface (and improving oxygenation). I have a 110 gallon tank with about 1800 gph of water circulation (between the canister and two powerheads) but this isn't a problem for my tropheus (or so I'm assuming since they are always taking turns playing in the current).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an internal power filter.

I have Mbuna. The fish are not swimming as they were with the previous filter. They seem to be stuck against the current now...

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
If you can't adjust the flow, I would take it out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wouldn't adjusting the flow also affect the GPH factor???

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its 4' X 18" X 18" tank.

1500 Liters per hour...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You're not making this easy for us are you? :)

So your tank is about 250 liters and you're turning the water over 6 times per hour with your filter. Is there anything else (such as a powerhead or another filter) circulating the water?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Here is a pciture of one of my tanks. My fish seem to love the current. My friend from Guatemala said that the river they are in had cuurent so I just tried to create a similar biotope. Now my pumps so shutdown at times for feeding.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
apologies zimmy...

No there is nothing else circulating the water...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Turning the water over 6 times per hour is quite reasonable. It's surprising that your fish are reacting negatively. You mentioned that this is a new filter. What kind of filter was on the tank previously? Did you just replace the filter or keep them both on the tank for several weeks? I'm wondering if you removed a lot of the beneficial bacteria when you took off the old filter and put on this one. If that's what happened, you should check your ammonia and nitrite levels. It could be that this is what your fish are reacting to.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this filter comes from my cousins tank and was in use for over a month in his tank, so I guess the bacteria will not have been lost.

I just replaced the old filter with this one as I thought my previous filter was not what was required...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts