Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I'm going to attempt to strip one of my demasoni! But Im curious if I don't have a exact time of when she first started holding & I dont wanna wind up with eggs is there a way of judging by the size of her mouth? I think it's been about 3 weeks but I'm not sure! She def has quite a swollen mouth but I want to make sure! Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
No way to judge by the size of her mouth. Sometimes they actually look smaller when the fry are more mature.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You might be able to release one or two fry to determine if they're free swimming or not. I've had success doing this in the past.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the fry are not free-swimming and you decide you have stripped too early, I think the chances are good that the mother will take them back into her mouth if you give her that opportunity. You can then wait a week and try again. If you only release one or two, as GTZ suggested, your losses are minimal either way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
demasoni! good advise all around but with this breed IMHO stripilg is not needed. they can be very protectave just make sure the fry have lots of hiding places against the glass is always good behind rocks..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts