Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reading about mouthbrooding cichlids and it seems like quite a few people think that you shouldn't strip fry from a mother because the newborn fry learn how to be a good mother from their mother and future generations of fry may not be good mouth brooders since they didn't learn from their mothers.

Also was some anecdotal evidence that fry may be more prone to disease and have less color?

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I have been reading about mouthbrooding cichlids and it seems like quite a few people think that you shouldn't strip fry from a mother because the newborn fry learn how to be a good mother from their mother and future generations of fry may not be good mouth brooders since they didn't learn from their mothers.
Do you have any links supporting this? I've never heard this before, and I would think any motherly skills would be purely instinct. Besides, I can't imagine a fry's brain being nearly developed enough to learn and remember something like that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The link kind of seems like an exaggerated claim from someone with a bias opinion towards stripping. I could see how the fry would grow a little slower and be less heathly tho.. Maybe someone with personal experience will chime in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not saying it is gold opinion just that there is an opinion that stripping may not be the best way.. I've read it more than once, same argument, slower growth, duller colors and poor mothers...

Just curious if anyone has tried both ways and noticed a difference in the fry.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have not noticed any difference. Males having less color because they were hatched from a stripped egg? That makes no sense. The genetics of the fish (responsible for their color) are not affected by the way the egg is incubated. What happens in an egg tumbler (aeration and protection from predators) is what happens in a females mouth.

As was stated before - the maternal instinct is just that... instinct. If you hatch a hen chicken under a heat lamp she will sit on eggs when she lays them.

I have a bunch of juvie mbuna that were stripped of their mothers. They are pushing two inches right now. Growth rate is normal, color is spectacular, and... they are starting to teach themselves the breeding process.

It's all instinct.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have not noticed any difference. Males having less color because they were hatched from a stripped egg? That makes no sense. The genetics of the fish (responsible for their color) are not affected by the way the egg is incubated. What happens in an egg tumbler (aeration and protection from predators) is what happens in a females mouth.

As was stated before - the maternal instinct is just that... instinct. If you hatch a hen chicken under a heat lamp she will sit on eggs when she lays them.

I have a bunch of juvie mbuna that were stripped of their mothers. They are pushing two inches right now. Growth rate is normal, color is spectacular, and... they are starting to teach themselves the breeding process.

It's all instinct.
I agree :thumb:

There's alot of uneducated/misunderstood/made-up information out there so it's important to use a trustworthy source. Asking this forum was a good step.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I have tried it both ways and notice no difference in the fry.

I'm not saying it's not true, just seems hard to believe. It seems to be a widely held opinion and practice in Europe that stripping is bad. Not so much in the US.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I'm still very new and haven't even had a holding female yet but love doing research.

I think the first time I'm going to see how the female does, I'd like to see the interaction between fry and momma... after that I may strip more..

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Hope you have a day off so that you can be present at the moment she starts eating them. :thumb:

I rarely strip but I do remove the mom within 24-48 hours.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand that it would be a risk, but the behavior is really interesting to me.

The biggest chore is going to be getting her out of the tank, I suck at it! AND AND I have lots of rocks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts