1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is what i have in a 180 malawi:

PROTOMELAS SP. SPILONOTUS TANZANIA"LILULI"

OTOPHARYNX LITHOBATES "ZIMBABWAE ROCKS"

Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga Flameback" - (i know its a vic but couldnt resist)

Aulonocara stuartgranti (Hai Reef)

Labidochromis caeruleus

i will be adding some more peaceful fish in the future such as Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" when they become available to me

my question is, i want to raise fry, and in this "peaceful" malawi set up, what do you think is the best, leave the fry to fend for them selves (will they make it?) or remove the holding females and place them in my 50 gallon to release on there own in a safer enviroment, or strip em? and place the babies in my ten gallon and raise them in my 50 gallon till they are at least a couple inches?

i would LOVE to let them be and keep it all natural in the 180, but i am afraid of massive fry loss.... i will have it set up with a lot of rocks and what not, what do you think?

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you want to raise the fry then you will want to remove or strip the female. Chances of fry survival if she spits in the tank are not very good.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
jbjack said:
>snip<
i would LOVE to let them be and keep it all natural in the 180, but i am afraid of massive fry loss.... i will have it set up with a lot of rocks and what not, what do you think?
We have a tank with a 6' x 2' footprint and overstocked with predatory Haps and mbuna. Believe it or not fry survive in there. About 3 from each spawn and after a few years that adds up. More rock work and more can survive.

We remove the venustus before she spits since the LFS gives us food for her fry in trade. We used to do the same with the yellow labs but I guess our area is swamped with them and we can no longer trade them so let nature take its course.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I have a lot of rockwork and some survivor fry. But some is defined as one fry out of 100 spit. It's not like 1/2 of every clutch or anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts