Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stripped our first Dem that held full term and got 6 fry out of her. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I LOVE IT!!!!

Few questions if anyone can help me out.

1. How often do you feed your newly stripped fry?

2. How much do you feed them?

3. How do you go about feeding them?

4. Is Hikari First bites to start them out with?

5. I put a little bit of food in there, but it seems like they don't know what to do. So can I assume they will figure it out and begin feeding?

6. Finally, I have them in a floating breeder box and the lid has slots in it along with each end has slots for water flow should I be concerned about them getting out the sides or jumping out?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Congrats on the fry! :thumb:
If they're in the main tank with other fish, there's a chance they may get sucked out through the slots, otherwise they're fine, unless of course they're smaller than the slots :eek:
They do tend to take a bit to learn how to feed but it's usually only a few hours to a day.
For feeding, I use a syringe, 2-3 times per day, less if there's still uneaten food. Add some food to the tube, insert plunger, pull back to suck up some tank water, shake and gently inject into the fry tank, or breeder box. It's best to not have any current near the box.
Hikari first bites is fine, I use powdered NLS grow, same thing more or less.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GTZ said:
Congrats on the fry! :thumb:
If they're in the main tank with other fish, there's a chance they may get sucked out through the slots, otherwise they're fine, unless of course they're smaller than the slots :eek:
They do tend to take a bit to learn how to feed but it's usually only a few hours to a day.
For feeding, I use a syringe, 2-3 times per day, less if there's still uneaten food. Add some food to the tube, insert plunger, pull back to suck up some tank water, shake and gently inject into the fry tank, or breeder box. It's best to not have any current near the box.
Hikari first bites is fine, I use powdered NLS grow, same thing more or less.
They are in my new 20g long. They are in a breeder box but also in that tank is about 10 yellow labs that range from 1/2 inch up to about 1 inch. Thinking about moving the 1 inchers to the main tank since I think they should be big enough to join the others, but honestly I dont really know the size that one should be before being placed into the main tank. I have other labs in there from 2 inches up too 4 1/2 inches and there are 16 Demasoni in there with most of them being juvies about 2 inches and 2 that are almost full grown about 3-4 inches.

What about left over food that remains in the bottom of the breeder box? Should that be removed right away or is a little bit in there not gonna hurt anything? How much would one think that 6 fry would eat?

If it does need to be removed what is the best way to vac that out without sucking up the fry?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
They are in my new 20g long. They are in a breeder box but also in that tank is about 10 yellow labs that range from 1/2 inch up to about 1 inch. Thinking about moving the 1 inchers to the main tank since I think they should be big enough to join the others, but honestly I dont really know the size that one should be before being placed into the main tank. I have other labs in there from 2 inches up too 4 1/2 inches and there are 16 Demasoni in there with most of them being juvies about 2 inches and 2 that are almost full grown about 3-4 inches.

What about left over food that remains in the bottom of the breeder box? Should that be removed right away or is a little bit in there not gonna hurt anything? How much would one think that 6 fry would eat?

If it does need to be removed what is the best way to vac that out without sucking up the fry?
Their stomachs are roughly the same size as their eyes, that should give some perspective as to how much they'll eat. I wouldn't worry about left over food if they're in a 20g, just try not to overfeed, just a few drops of food mixed with water should be sufficient per feeding, so long as it stays in the box for a while, if there's too much flow from filters etc, turn them off for a while while feeding.
Add juvies when they look too big to fit in your largest fish's mouth. They're pretty good at evading by the 1-1/4" mark.
Airline tubing makes a great mini vacuum once you start a siphon with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts