Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago one of my OB peacocks looked to have a small white protrusion derived from the keyster. I thought it may a sign of bloat so I netted it, placed it in a breeder net, and fed it some pellets dosed with metro. Today, after coming home from work, it appears that she is holding in the breeder net... very weird. She still has the protrusion as well although her stomach looks noticeably smaller. Now I wish I wouldn't have netted her.

I have only owned the fish for 2-3 weeks. For the first week or so my big OB peacock chased it around continuously.

To me this is all very strange. Does anyone know what is going on with this fish?

Here is a pic of the fish a week or so ago (before this took place):

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
It's probably her egg tube. Females will distend their egg tube a day or so before being ready to spawn and it will retract within a day or two after spawning. On some species it is more obvious than on others.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kanorin said:
It's probably her egg tube. Females will distend their egg tube a day or so before being ready to spawn and it will retract within a day or two after spawning. On some species it is more obvious than on others.
Since she apparently dropped and picked up her eggs in the breeding net, what step of action should i take now? I would assume they aren't fertilized.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Right, they wouldn't be fertilized unless a male jumped into the breeder net and then jumped out before you noticed :lol:
As Riceburner says, she'll probably eat them after about 3-6 days.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earlier I let her go back in the tank, hopefully she doesn't hold them for too long and become weak.

How long should it take before she will be ready to lay eggs again?

G

·
probly a few weeks... i usually net a holding female and gently guide her into a breeder net and jus let her chill there till she spits in the net then she takes them back in a few times.. the last time i made her spit them into the net and then jus let her back in the tank... but *** done it where i jus let her spit them all out on her own and check often once they are all in the net let her out and feed her or she'll start eating the fry

was it at all possible that she was holding while u netted her and put herin the breeder net and jus didnt notice? cuz if so jus leave her in there.. idk im kinda new to breeding fish so take my opnion with a grain of salt.. never really understood that expression

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
m1ke715m said:
...was it at all possible that she was holding while u netted her and put herin the breeder net and jus didnt notice? cuz if so jus leave her in there.. idk im kinda new to breeding fish so take my opnion with a grain of salt.. never really understood that expression
I dont think so. I usually have a keen eye for details so I really think this happened while she was isolated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts