Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pair of L.Calliurus spawned a couple days ago and everything was fine. the fry started to come out tonight. but the male seems to pick up the fry that come out of the shell and keep the fry in his mouth for a bit and puts him back in a hole on a shell. its about 1/2deep and on top of the mouth of the shell. *** never seen other shellies do this before. he picks up any fry he could find. the only real predator in that tank is a lonely male betta. theres a minnow in with them but he doesnt do anything but eat and sleep. why is the male picking up the fry and putting them in the little hole? one more thing, one of the fry seems to be only about 3 or 4days old from being an egg while the rest are all able to dart and look like fry. hes just a translucent fry with a big egg sac on him. everyone else is fine. why is he under developed?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found out why he was doing this strange behaviour this morning. it seems that he doesnt want them wandering around at this age. he picks them up and tries to put them in the shell but the female curves her body to block him. he managed to pick a couple fry in his mouth and put them at the mouth of the shell. hes just being very protective :D

just a question, how to i cull fry? *** never had to cull any fry because they all seemed to grow at the same pace(besides the one that got hit when they were fry, i either gave them to my friend or they just died after a few weeks)

·
Super Moderator
40,882 Posts
If they are very tiny, you can feed them to larger fish. If you need to do the dreaded euthanasia, first put them to sleep using a drop of clove oil in a bowl of tank water, and then freeze the whole thing. Note the clove oil does not kill them (if you put them back in fresh water, they will revive), so you need another step to complete the task.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts