Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have noticed some strange behaviour in my All Malawi setup.

They are going mouth to mouth and shaking their body's

Any idears ?

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
More info needed. Are they fighting? If so this normal. Could be going through a pecking order to see who's who and what territory they will claim. If this is a new tank or if they are reaching maturity this will happen. They vibrate there bodies, go in circles and fight mouth to mouth. Sometimes it can get too entence and thats when you have problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply

Theres not to much fighting ony between certain fish

When they go mouth to mouth it doesnt seem to be aggresive

i only have 2 females vs 8 males maybe thats the problem

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yes. Mouth to mouth is (almost always) fighting.

The shimmering/shaking is usually flirting but I've seen a little of it when intimidating another fish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The typical setups are either all males, or only one male of each species together with a few females of each species (1 male plus 3-6 females of each species you have). A tank with lots of males and only 2 females should promote a lot of male dominance fighting. When they grap each other by the mouth that is usually 2 males fighting for position in the pecking order.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's going to end poorly for some poor chaps (males).

Get more females!

·
Registered
169 Posts
lisamears said:
Hi i have 8 males and 2 females wild caught in a 300l tank
It would be a good idea for you to read the articles in the forum library about stocking. There are several example ("cookie-cutter") tank stocking lists and discussion of what works. From what you have told us so far, what you have probably will not work. Of course it would help more if you could specify the species you have and the number (male:female) of each species.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts