Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal tank with a tiger oscar, blood red parrot cichlid, and a pleco. Both cichlids are babies at about 4" and the pleco is 6". There are also a few itty bitty feeder fish, but neither fish has shown much interest in them (though both are eating pellets normally).

3 things first: (1) I realize I'll probably have to rehouse, (2) the parrot was a rescure off of craig's list and I 100% don't support this 'species', and (3) I've had great success with red oscars in the past, but these 2 are both new to me.

I've had them together for a couple weeks now with no problems, but today I've noticed them going mouth-to-mouth a lot. They take turns grabbing each other by the lower jaw and pulling the other across the tank. I know similar behavior in other species is a way of determining dominance, but I've never heard of it in either or these two. Afterwards, neither retreats and they seem content to float around within an inch or two of one another. Thoughts?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I keep parrots w/my O and they all do fine. I have 4 parrots in the tank, and it's a 125G. Them having lots of room to stake out their territories helps, I"m sure.

Have you considered getting a bigger tank? I think that will help a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, I'll eventually get a bigger tank, but they'll be fine in the 55 for now. Other than this behavior, they're getting along great. I was just curious if anyone else had seen aything like this and what it might be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's how they fight. One will damage the others mouth enough that eating will be impossible and it will die. You should separate them now or re house in a much larger tank, like a 120 gal maybe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts