Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just added a really small Red top hongi to my tank, and I had my fingers crossed because it was so small that I thought my Auratus might actually attempt to EAT it.
As soon as it went into the tank the other fish started picking on it and chasing it. As I was watching it swam right into my Auratus' half of the tank. (my Auratus is definitely the most dominant always snapping and chasing the other fish)
The Auratus immediately peeked out of it's cave but didn't do much else until my Maingano chased the Hongi right into the Auratus' patch of tank. The Auratus sent the Maingano zipping off, and then, unexpectedly, ignored the Hongi that was right in front of his snout, and went back into his cave. The Hongi soon started taking refuge from the other fish by swimming directly beside the Auratus, even going into the same cave sometimes. The most the Auratus ever did was the occasional gentle nudge when the Hongi got too annoying,
Why would my Auratus suddenly change when he is usually so aggressive? And why only to one fish?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have found that if a large fish does not see a smaller fish as a threat it will ignore it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Timothy12 said:
But there are other small fish only about a centimeter bigger which he does chase.
Well, the Hongi has vertical stripes and the Maingano which you said he chased off has horizontal stripes, like the auratus. Do you have other vertically striped fish that he chases?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't have any other horizontally striped fish but my Auratus is not targeting the Maingano; he chases all my fish equally.
The Hongi is the only one in the tank that he doesn't chase even though several others are also way too small for him to consider them a threat.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Old Newbie said:
I have found that if a large fish does not see a smaller fish as a threat it will ignore it.
+1
For whatever reason, your Auratus does not perceive the newcomer as a threat. That could change in a heartbeat.

Adding a lone fish to a group that's been together for any length of time can lead to complications, some of what you've seen. If you had doubts on his survival (do to its size) upon introduction, that's reason enough to not add the fish.

Mbuna like Auratus & Cyaneorhabdos 'maingano', with horizontal stripes, are referred to as striped. Mbuna with vertical stripes, like your Hongi, are referred as barred.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Agree. Also auratus is very aggressive (in general, even if he wasn't before) so not a surprise if you have to remove him from an all-male tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks you were right he stopped staying with the Auratus and he has what seems to be a small tear in his pectoral fin which wasn't there before, but he seems fine otherwise. He found a little hole for only himself to fit in so I'm hoping he'll be fine. If things get worse I have a cycled 15 gallon tank that he could go in untill he's a bit bigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts