Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young male apisto cauc with 2 females who is has been doing something strange. He's found a spot in the back corner of the tank beside a plant but not hidden. He's been laying on the substrate and just basically chilling. Is this something possibly breeding related? The trio is quite young though, females are about the size of my cardinal tetras at best. I've seen sick apisto's and this is not the same at all. He is not breathing heavy while doing this, eating well, colored well, etc. Parameters and other fish in tank are healthy aswell. Completly healthy appearing, but curious as to what he might be doing here?

·
Registered
705 Posts
hes just hanging out. mine have done that before as well. i wouldnt worry about it too much. females can be quite pushy if they have eggs somewhere so this may be the case here. dont go digging or looking around, instead just keep a sharp eye out for females flashing... (they signal the broods this way) easiest way *** found to finding if u have babies or not.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Only apistos (or any dwarfs for that matter) I've seen do that type of behaviour have not lasted to much longer.

I would definately ask this question on a website called Apistogramma Forums. Oh and please be carefull when saying your parameters are fine. Just because all the other fish appear to be healthy does not mean they actually are.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm afraid you guys are right. At first it seemed innocent enough, but he's stopped eating and is hiding, swollen belly, stringy feces, etc. I've begun treating with metro. Parameters are ammonio and nitrite 0, nitrate under 10, ph 6.8. Between this tank and my malawi tank, i've been pretty succesful in keeping various species. But for some reason I just have no luck with apisto's, especially males. I've already lost two males prior that were from dubious stock. I found a male from a reputed local breeder and yet here we go again.

·
Registered
705 Posts
boo didnt realize he was that bad. pics would help with further diagnosis. GL in your search for good apistos. make sure you can get water parameters for wherever your getting them. likely youll wanna mimick this water for awhile before chasing the ph dragon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Initially it was just odd the way he was chilling out on the substrate, and as you said it really looked like he was just hanging out and it was nothing since he looked fine and was eating and otherwise normal. I thought it was maybe some sort of pre/post spawning behaviour but was just curious. After a day or two he stopped eating and started hiding. The females from the same breeder have been doing just fine. She keeps them in neutral water so i saw no problem. The males I had had prior were from the dubious czheck lines so I figured this guy would be good to go. But it seems like the same parisitic issue, fine at first and after a few weeks stop eating, stringy feces, swollen abdomen, lethargic, heavy breathing etc. If this one doesn't make it I think that'll be it for me and apistos. Angels are spawing and cardinals are thriving in the same tank so I'm at a loss here.

The only thing that went wrong was the heater plug came lose and the temp dropped from 79 to around 75 for like a day. Temp was gradually brought back up once it was noticed but that hardly seems like enough to trigger this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I treated with metro but no luck so far. I went this route after killing the last one with the clout treatment for bloated listed here. I've used the bloat treatment on this site with success 3 times on african malawi cichlids. I decided to try it out on my last male apisto, was looking promising but the 80% water change that is suggested on day 4 was too much for him and he immediatly shocked and died. I replaced the water through a python and looking back perhaps if I had added it more gradually I would have been better off perhaps. Plus the difficulty in catching a small fish in a planted tank. I used a method I found on this site as follows, adjusted to my tank size....http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... ays=0&post order=asc&&start=0

On day 4, he still did not eat and no change. If tonight(day 5), should I try to catch him and quarantine and try to the bloat treatment with clout? Or should I wait and see, though i'm not optomistic he'll pull through if I do nothing further. At the same time, i'm wondering if the metro and now hitting him with clout might be alot for him to handle? I''m including a couple of pictures, only had my camera phone handy so this was the best I could do for the moment. One of the females is also looking like she's about to be in the same boat, and is laying beside him last night. But this morning she was swimming around with the other female so if she doesn't eat tonight she will also be a candidate for further treatment.If I do move him to quarantine I'll continue to feed the main tank metro soaked pellets. Parameters are ammonia/nitrite 0, nitrates under 10, ph 6.8. Angels and cardinals in the tank are doing well. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Neither male is looking good, the clamped fins are a sign of sickness, one or the other should be displaying at the other, but that is obviously not happening. My advice is, if they do not make it find another source, a reputable breeder in your area would be best, local aquarium clubs members would be a good place to start asking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts