Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some people over today, and while they were checking out my 125 mbuna tank, my wife spotted a baby Syno Multi. As it turns out, we've spotted about 3 so far. I'm excited because they are WC's, and usually don't spawn with mbuna from what I've read. I only wish I knew which one they spawned with because I didn't see it. I would guess my Acei because they are the biggest, but I haven't had any holding recently. The others are Rusties, Fuelleborni, and Yellow Labs.

So I guess my next question would be, how much of a chance of survival do they have in there? I'd love to get them out, but I fear that may be a "needle in the haystack" effort with all the rocks in the tank.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
DrgRcr said:
I had some people over today, and while they were checking out my 125 mbuna tank, my wife spotted a baby Syno Multi. As it turns out, we've spotted about 3 so far. I'm excited because they are WC's, and usually don't spawn with mbuna from what I've read. I only wish I knew which one they spawned with because I didn't see it. I would guess my Acei because they are the biggest, but I haven't had any holding recently. The others are Rusties, Fuelleborni, and Yellow Labs.

So I guess my next question would be, how much of a chance of survival do they have in there? I'd love to get them out, but I fear that may be a "needle in the haystack" effort with all the rocks in the tank.
WC's and Syno multi's as a whole spawn with mbuna fine. If they have survived this long, chances are they'll make it now.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks Fogelhund! :dancing:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
My syno multies spawned almost everytime my mbuna did....and that's saying somthing...lol

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well so much for them not using mbuna as hosts!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
DrgRcr said:
Ok well so much for them not using mbuna as hosts!
Sorry..not trying to rain on your parade. You will really enjoy seeing the baby Synos. In fact, that is the part of my mbuna tank that I miss the most! Sold my tank Nov of last year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No offense taken Florida. I just was under the impression that they preferred Vics, but I guess they'll use any opportunity to breed, given the right conditions.

And you are right, they are the neatest little things to watch! I just really hope they make it. So far the others seem to completely ignore them. At last count, I've seen 5. I made a half hearted attempt to get one out yesterday, and that was futile!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol! I don't think that will be a bad thing!

·
Registered
705 Posts
sooner or later they will come out. i love my cats as well :). almost as pretty as my cichlids.. do you have any sort of sinking food to make sure they get something to eat? i know my acei were pigs lolz

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's almost always some pellet that gets to the bottom, even with the voracious acei. I make sure to sprinkle some in the hob flow so it gets down there for the cats. I have some wafers that I may start to drop in at night for them as well. There's quite a bit of growth on the rocks for them, plus some scraps from when the big guys eat. I have 3 mbuna fry that have been living off scraps in there for a month, so there must be something to eat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.