Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about the all male tank which I'd like to do. I've been working towards that but am struggling as I had an ammonia spike and then fighting. I added three expensive fish and my lwanda killed two. I added a bunch of cheap fish after that and everything is ok. But a breeder has told me, in an all male tank I will be constantly replacing fish. Another place I read for an all male tank I can have peacocks but none of the jacob peacocks. Please enlighten me! I have a list of fish I want and I am tired of replacing fish. I really love these fish and want to be able to keep them healthy and happy. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What is the list of fish you want? It's a good idea to have just one Aulonocara jacobfreibergi species. And if you choose that fish, I would choose other males that are medium aggression, avoiding the most timid of haps.

The fish are not cheap and it is true that you have to tinker with the stocking for a couple of years until you achieve a balance. These are things you expect when choosing to stock an all-male tank. No one should die though...you should rehome as required. It's a good idea to have extra tanks and a cichlid-friendly LFS and a local hobbyist club.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so there can't be a all jacob tank...

not necessarily all but want:

Red empress
Lemon jake
Taiwan reef
Red sun
Blue neon undu
Eureka red
Blue dragon blood
Ethylwynnae Chitande
Yellow Head Peacock chitande
Korneliae Blue Gold
Aulonocara Saulosi Green
Regal peacock
Sulpher head

I have:
Lwanda
Maleri
Otter point, very young
Obx3
Dragon blood
Strawberry
Hap of some sort
Dull, sunshine?
A few I'm unsure and I'd have to go look lol.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank? For all male you want no look alikes. The dragon blood and the strawberry could fight. The three OBs could fight. The Lwanda and Otter Point are both jacobfreibergi.

A very young peacock cannot be confirmed male...any female in your tank can cause mahem as well.

Post a pic of the hap in Unidentified to get an ID.

The Taiwan reef may be a good choice if your tank is long enough.

I'd skip the other jacobfreibergi. I'd skip anything that is pink or red.

The sunshine may be dull because the maleri is in the tank, I would rehome the sunshine.

Will wait for more information before commenting on the others.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Consider putting in some danios and/or rainbow fish as dithers to keep the aggression down.

You can make an all male tank relatively easily and get almost any african cichlids to go together with enough practice and care, but in general they require much more work than most fish so your experience is not unusual, it is very typical to have to change your tank inhabitants around or spend a lot of time to make them get along together. So if you don't like that and are already sick of it then they simply may not be for you. There's a million other kinds of fish to keep that don't require so much effort, and for me personally if you don't like aggressive fish or don't like spending a lot of time on them then what's the point. A nice planted tank with some peaceful fish is 1/10th the effort and usually less expensive to boot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the unknown hap. I have two 55s that I plan to upgrade one these guys are bigger or as needed. The sunshine and malari are actually in seperate tanks, I've been afraid to add him to my main tank. Ill try adding photos of some I'm not sure of.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
PeacockCichlids said:
Lemon jake
Blue neon undu
Blue dragon blood

Dragon blood
I have those and four others in my all male aqaurium. While there are certain characteristics within each species, each fish of each species has individual characteristics that may affect them.

It has been a task trying to get 8 dudes to coexist, but I knew that going in, so I've been patient and have made additions/subtractions accordingly. The result has been rewarding, and even though they bark at each other now and then (I'm not sure there's any getting around that), for the most part, they are doing great.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Post the pics in Unidentified...the members that hang around there are really good at ID.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts