Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Sorry for such the broad topic, but i really need to figure out what i will stock my 50 gallon aquarium with.

I want very active, colorfull, and enjoyable africans,
So can you please help me figure out what to stock my tank with!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
What are the dimensions of your 50G?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its flatback but its like 36 by 19* 19*
Not Exactly sure but its a flatback and its one i bought from a guy he said its like either 47-50 gallon, but according to when i put in water it was 50 gallon, 9 1/2 bucket fulls inside the tank (5 gallon bucket)
Ill measure it to the exact measurements when i get home.

and another thing is...
THinking of cool fish i like, like:
Yellow lab's
Acei
Ice blue zebra's
Peacocks
and zebras,
and just rlly perty cichlids :D

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Well the 36" length is going to give you some limits you may not be happy about. And the non-rectangle shape may be limiting as well. The gallons don't matter much...it's really the footprint that makes a difference because each male fish wants to claim a territory on the substrate.

Depending on the measurements you provide once you get home, I'd start thinking in terms of a single species tank, stocking with dwarf mbuna.

From your list, yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) would be good, but acei (Pseudotropheus acei) would be too big for a 36" tank because they mature at 7".

Zebras (Metriaclima), including the ice blues (greshakei) mature at 6", also not an ideal fit for a 36" tank. Pseudotropheus saulosi or Cynotilapia afra might be a better fit for your tank.

A small timid peacock like Aulonocara baenschi could work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for those suggestions, after school today, i will come home and measure it exactly and then post the measurements.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
But you said it was a "flat-back" which made me think it was a hex or corner tank...not a rectangle.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Ok, messy to measure. What is the length of the flat panel on the front?

And what is the length of the flat panel on the side.

I get the longest dimensions are 36" x 17". Now I'm looking for the shorter dimensions to reflect those chopped off corners.

Are the sides 12" or more? If yes, one dwarf species should work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like the sides, and i think that may seem right.... 12" i accually think it may be 14...

Does the deminsions really matter in a Lake Malawi tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Absolutely. You are trying to figure out how many territories there are on the bottom of the tank for males to claim. A territory can be anywhere from one square foot to three square feet for one fish depending on the species.

So I would stock like a standard 36" tank and go with the one species of dwarf mbuna, and maybe add some labs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, thats what i was planning on doing...

Tell me what you think of this...
a zebra or 2 1m/1f
lab's 4, 1m, 3f
Maingano idk how many thos prob same as lab's

THink that would work with 3 males, and rest female's?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Zebras (Metriaclima) are better in a 48" rectangle tank with 1m:4f because they mature to 6" (not dwarf) and are medium-high aggressive.

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) are better in a 75G tank with 1m:7f as they are very aggressive.

You could do a lab species tank with 1m:5f in your 36" long tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
coming back to this post. What would be some other types of dwarf peacocks that i could add to the tank??? because i am intrested in peacock cichlids as well as lab's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts