Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading Cichlid Forum regularly since I got into the hobby last year. I have a 90 gallon five footer tank with SunSun canister filtration. Have gone with a white sand substrate that I bought online, black background (painted with acrylic paint) and a rockscape with sufficient hiding places. The water changes are done every week to 10 days.

I started off with a really random stock list which was sourced from friends and local fishes stores. The first batch was a mix of Mbunas, a pair of green terrors, salvinis, convict and jewel cichlids. The tank also housed tiger barbs, and rainbow and red tail sharks for a while. As more Haps and Peacocks became available to purchase, I phased out all of the Mbunas, American cichlids and sharks (except for a yellow lab, convict and salvini) and currently have 20 biggish Peacocks and Haps juvies. Have also re-homed a large number fish (sub-dominant males and females) to try and keep only those fishes that would look great in an all male show tank. The fish are mostly peaceful and the tank has almost no aggression issues so far.

I only plan to add a Livingstoni for now, or anything else that adds variety of the stock list without the tank getting too overstocked. Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on all of this. Will take some pictures of the fishes and update this post. Looking forward to seeing your Haps and Peacock Tanks too! Thank you :)

Tank Mates:

1 Yellow Lab Mbuna, 1 convict cichlid, 1 salvini cichlid

2 sunshine peacocks, 1 eureka red peacock, 2 taiwan reef, 1 Venustus (not sure if this is female or male, great color but no blue face yet at around 4 inches), 1 sulphur head, 1 red peacock (not sure of the exact species), 1 OB Malawi Eye Biter, 1 Red Fin Borleyi, 1 dolphin moori, 4 OB Peacock Cichlids, 1 Dragon Blood, 1 yellow hybrid peacock (not able to identify this cichlid yet), 1 blue peacock and 1 red shoulder peacock.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Hello @akmeadow ,
and welcome to Cichlid Forum! :)
===========================
Okay then. This posting thread started out good for your 90 gallon All Hap and Peacock Cichlid tank,.
Setting up all male Haps and Peacocks Tank
Then started getting weird,
I only plan to add a Livingstoni for now,
Then just got bad.....

Tank Mates:

1 Yellow Lab Mbuna, 1 convict cichlid, 1 salvini cichlid
-
Oh my goodness!
I believe your original idea of Setting up all male Haps and Peacocks Tank - is a good one! And is legitimately the direction you should go with this tank. But, then we have that Nimbochromis livingstoni pushing at up to 10 inches in length. And if you left it that, with the Cichlids you have in there now? Sure, but....
1 Convict and 1 Salvini could really be a problem, if you want to mix those Central American, substrate spawning Cichlids with this new Hap and Peacock theme you want to try. An even somewhat milder female Trichromis salvini is gonna be way too aggressive for stocking with those Haps and Peacocks in that tank.
  • So, if you want to set up a Hap and Peacock tank? Do it!
  • If you want to add that Livingstoni to the existing mix you have now? You;re good! Don't add any more Cichlids to that mix.

Reactions: akmeadow

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello @Auballagh

Thanks for your detailed comments! I shall definitely consider removing the Convict and Salvini as soon as I can find them a new home :)

Hello @akmeadow ,
and welcome to Cichlid Forum! :)
===========================
Okay then. This posting thread started out good for your 90 gallon All Hap and Peacock Cichlid tank,.

Then started getting weird,

Then just got bad.....

-
Oh my goodness!
I believe your original idea of Setting up all male Haps and Peacocks Tank - is a good one! And is legitimately the direction you should go with this tank. But, then we have that Nimbochromis livingstoni pushing at up to 10 inches in length. And if you left it that, with the Cichlids you have in there now? Sure, but....
1 Convict and 1 Salvini could really be a problem, if you want to mix those Central American, substrate spawning Cichlids with this new Hap and Peacock theme you want to try. An even somewhat milder female Trichromis salvini is gonna be way too aggressive for stocking with those Haps and Peacocks in that tank.

• So, if you want to set up a Hap and Peacock tank? Do it!
  • If you want to add that Livingstoni to the existing mix you have now? You;re good! Don't add any more Cichlids to that mix.

·
Administrator
41,505 Posts
I like 18 males in a 72" tank if they mature <= six inches. If you go with larger fish, stock fewer individuals. Since you have large haps and a 60" tank IMO you are already overstocked, even after you eliminate cichlids from other continents.

If you want variety I would swap out the duplicates (sunshine, taiwan reef, OB peacocks) for fish that are not related to your existing fish and look nothing like your existing fish. I would not add a livingstonii if I already had a venustus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like 18 males in a 72" tank if they mature <= six inches. If you go with larger fish, stock fewer individuals. Since you have large haps and a 60" tank IMO you are already overstocked, even after you eliminate cichlids from other continents.

If you want variety I would swap out the duplicates (sunshine, taiwan reef, OB peacocks) for fish that are not related to your existing fish and look nothing like your existing fish. I would not add a livingstonii if I already had a venustus.
Agree with your suggestion to remove duplicates of the Taiwan Reef, Sunshine Peacock and 4 OB Peacocks (this will be hard, because all of them are unique and not the same).

Btw the tank presently has only 1 adult OB Peacock cichlid (5.5 to 6 inches) and most of the other fish are between 2.5 to 4 inches at best. Will not add the Livingstoni - seems like a terrible idea in hindsight.

Could you please suggest other peacock cichlid varieties or any other tank mates that look nothing like my existing fish?

Separately, I'm wondering if adding clown loaches is a good move. Where I live african cichlids are super cheap and relatively easy to source, but can't say the same for good quality clown loaches.

Thanks again :)

·
Administrator
41,505 Posts
You have 14 fish without the duplicates and many mature > six inches in a 60" tank. I would not add cichlids.

Clown loaches can often survive with Africans and perhaps not thrive. They grow to 13" and like to be in groups of six. I would skip them.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
As you can see, the case is definitely mixed on those Clown Loaches. I'm not much of a fan of putting that species in with a tank of African Cichlids either - too wimpy. Clown Loaches just don't deal with Cichlid aggression that well. Probably the best bet would be to stock with 5 or so Synodontis lucipinnis. Those tough little catfish can handle a good bit of Cichlid aggression, and they will definitely hoover up any unwanted fry produced by spawning Cichlids (non... stop... spawning).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Syndontis lucipinnis is a fab suggestion! Will check if I can find any healthy specimens.

I am feeding them what they can finish in 1-2 min twice or thrice a day. The growth seems much more rapid to a friend's tank which houses similarly aged african cichlids. I've put this down to the weekly water changes, lots of hiding places and mostly good luck :)

Is it too early to shift to feeding just once a day?

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Probably....
Get a Nitrate test kit for your water. If the Nitrates measure out at more than 40 PPM in the aquarium? You will need to up the frequency and percentage of water changed to dilute the Nitrates out of your tank water.
And well, more food equals more fish waste equals more Nitrates (dissolved organics) in the water of your aquarium. :cautious:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here goes with a few pictures. I have a pretty basic and budget set up. Hope to add a nicer lid and LED lights with remote sensors, once the fishes are fully grown.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here goes with a few pictures. I have a pretty basic and budget set up. Hope to add a nicer lid and LED lights with remote sensors, once the fishes are fully grown.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Nice looking African Cichlids.
I am TOTALLY enjoying the pic you put up of the female, Trichromis salvini. Not too sure about keeping that male Convict, but the Salvini might be worth takling a chance on.... Oh, and fry control? Definitely will NOT be a problem with that predatory girl in your aquarium. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the Venustus. Too radically different from everyone else in there to matter that much.....
That's a good-looking crowd you got going in that 90 gallon. If you decide to keep the female Salvini? I would strongly recommend against adding the Synodontis lucipinnis catfish to this tank. Trust me, your Central American MEAN GIRL has got that fry control thing covered. :cool:
Oh, and good thing she's a female Salvini.
Ready for a Trichromis salvini 'deep dive'?
Shows you just what a male Salvini can destroy in a community tank, hmmmm?

LONG LIVE CAPTAIN CREECH!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thread on the male Salvini was interesting! No catfish going in for sure. The replies were all super helpful! I'd be thrilled to get more feedback on the pictures and advice from other members.

Will keep a close watch on the female Salvini. I've had her in the tank since she was 1- 1.5 inches 6 months ago. She likes to hide a lot in the rocks and usually ignores the African cichlids.

The only time she was aggressive was the occasional face offs she had with a pair of Green Terrors the same tank previously housed up until just 3 days back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the Venustus. Too radically different from everyone else in there to matter that much.....
That's a good-looking crowd you got going in that 90 gallon. If you decide to keep the female Salvini? I would strongly recommend against adding the Synodontis lucipinnis catfish to this tank. Trust me, your Central American MEAN GIRL has got that fry control thing covered. :cool:
Oh, and good thing she's a female Salvini.
Ready for a Trichromis salvini 'deep dive'?
Shows you just what a male Salvini can destroy in a community tank, hmmmm?

LONG LIVE CAPTAIN CREECH!!!
Glad you liked the good looking crowd. I've experimented with a total of 50-60 african cichlids before narrowing down to the present stock list. Keeping tinier juvies definitely helped me to learn about african cichlids and I've relied more on watching my tank closely than on the more technically correct approaches one comes across from experienced fish keepers, like water testing or adding Seachem etc. It helps that I'm living in a tropical climate which really suits them and I use a heater only for a couple of months in winters (the lowest temperature is about 20 degrees Celsius).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts