Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon that has been set up for awhile and I currently have 5 labs and 2 syno. eupterus. I have had these fish in the tank for the past 3 months or so and have just not gotten around to putting anymore in there. Im thinking i will put maybe one more breeding group in the tank. I could put two if it would be better.

I originally thinking of putting Cyno. afras in with the labs for good color contrast. I recently have been thinking about some sort of Aulonocara possibly instead, seeing as I have labs. I know the compatibility will differ from tank to tank.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could even go with demasoni but Im just worried about aggression because I know those little guys can get pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You have lots of options. cyno afras would be fine but with some species only the males are colorful. I would suggest cyno hara, a species I plan on trying some day. If you want dems instead, get a bunch, like maybe even 20 juveniles, and remove violent aggressors and stress fish until the group becomes stable. They're only aggressive towards their own kind. You have other options as well. With the right species, you could do 3 groups of 1m:4f each.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know anything or have any suggestions regarding Aulonocara species in a tank with labs?

Or would it be better to stick with Mbuna?

Im trying to finish stocking my tank but I just cant decide.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i'd do acei. i love them with labs. both are very mild and it's a nice contrast in color.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really? I have always heard that they get to big for a 55 gall. Others have told me they wouldnt put Acei in a tank less than 90 gallons if it were with other fish and all.

Anyone else know anything about this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funny thing is, I already have a 3 inch Acei in another tank. I could easily get 4 more and put 5 Acei in the 55 gallon with the 5 labs that are already in there.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Do you want a breeding group of peacocks? Personally, I wouldn't suggest a peacock group because of the plain females. A mbuna breeding group would be the way to go.

If you're still interested in peacocks though, you could place a few males in the tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats very true, I didnt really think about that.

I think I may just stick with mbuna since i have a little more experience with them and thats what I was originally going for.

As far as the Acei, I have one male who is about 3 inches in another tank. I am thinking I may get 4 more to put in the tank with my 5 labs and 2 eupterus cats.

Anyone have any input on this?

I have seen lots of mixed feelings about have Acei in a 55 gal. due to their large adult size.

What if I had a breeding group of Aceis and a breeding group of labs in the tank and thats it?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Aceis should be fine. I've got mine in a 125 6', but I originally got them with a 55g in mind, and a year and a half ago when I was researching fish around here, aceis were a common suggestion for 55g aquariums. Its been a recent change around here to suggest bigger tanks for aceis. Originally, it was that they needed longer than 4' because they like to swim more than other mbuna. But somehow along the way is became that a 55 is too small but a 75 or 90 is fine, but that doesn't make much sense to me because they're still only 4' tanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.