Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Long time aquarist, I kept cichlids before but for the last two decades I have been keeping planted and reef tanks. Now, I am converting my two reef tanks to Cichlid tanks, and am looking for stocking recommendations for a 250g (72Lx30wx27h) and a standard 120g (48x24x24). I was thinking in doing haps and peacocks in the 250 and mbunas in the 120 or a tanganyika species only in the 120. For the tanganyikas I would like it to be mixed, but from what I have read for the tanganyika you should only do one species.
I would appreciate any input and suggestions.
Thank you,

·
2,088 Posts
While there are certainly some species best kept in species only tanks - Frontosa and Tropheus come to mind here, there are others which can be mixed as long as the tankmates are carefully chosen. Some of the sand dwellers work well with cyprichromis and paracyprichromis species. Also there are a number of others which can be kept in a community tank of sorts - you can get some ideas in the cookie cutter set ups, but given you are working with a larger tank, you probably have more options.

Help us help you - are there any specific Tangs you especially like? With that in mind, there are many people here who can guide you to a successful mix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are both nice sizes for cichlid tanks! I can't comment too much for the Malawi tank, but the 120g would be perfect for a colony of Tropheus! =) If you're set on a community maybe you can splash in another species too.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Mixed gender for the haps and peacocks? Any favorites?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Mixed gender for the haps and peacocks? Any favorites?
Yes, mixed genders. As for favorites, I have been looking at Lemom Jacks, Dragon Bloods, Rubies, Regals peacocks and Moorii, Tramitrichromis Inter., Nimbochromis Venustus, Buccochromis Nototaenie, Buccochromis Rhoadesii, Astatoilapia Calliptera and Chilotilapia Echilus for the haps.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If you choose fish that mature <= 6 inches, think in terms of 5 species and 1m:4f of each.

One species of peacock per tank. The ruby and the regal would be less aggressive...the lemon jakes and dragon bloods would be more aggressive.

Your peacock choice might dictate the hap choices...tramitichromis is on the timid side.

If you want the big haps, someone else should chime in...I have no experience with them.

One thing holds true regardless of size...choose hap females that look nothing alike. One with a stripe, one with bars, one with spots, one solid silver, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK the 120g is cycled and ready for fish. I have decided to make this tank an Mbuna tank. These is what I am thinking to add so far:
- 6 synodontis multipunctatus
The following mbunas in a ratio of 1M/4F
- Msobo Deep Magunga (thought of Saaulosi but decided to go with Msobos)
- Pseudo Williamsi "Blue Lips"
- Cynotilapia Afra "Jala Reef"
- Cynotilapia Afra "Mbewca"
and maybe 1 o 2 of the following species
- Pseudothropheus Acei
- Pseudothropheus Chewere
- Pseudothropheus Polit
- Pseudothropheus Red Zebra - cherry Red/Metriaclima estherae red zebra (this I am not sure if is the same fish misidentified in different source, but if they are different it would be one of them to add reds)

Now the usual questions
1. How is the compatibility of this mix?
2. Any chaces of cross breeding between this selection
3. How many of the optional species can I add? and which ones would you recommend taking into account the first two questions?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would not add any species unless you have 1m:4f of them.

The first 4 species I think the two Cynotilapia could crossbreed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts