Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good single or pair of CA/SA cichlids for a a 40g. I was looking at JDs, Firemouths, Angels, or any others that you would recommend. I would also like some suggestions on dithers. On dithers I was thinking barbs or cardinal tetras. The cichlids would be in the 40g until they got a bit bigger then they would go into a larger tank. Would cardinals be to small to be housed with cons.

See signature for 40g

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Rams or Apistos would be my personal choice. Once convicts start breeding, they'll take over a 40G and kill whatever else you put in there. Not a chance for the cardinals.

I moved this here from Tank Setups in the hope that somebody in CA can comment on Jack Dempseys and Firemouths in a 40G.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'm definitely not doing angels. The thing is that I was going to do A. Cacuatoides but my LFS doesnt carry them, but they carry ballon rams and also dwarf flag cichlids which if you suggested rams then I'll probably go with the rams which I really like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking of either doing two pairs or 1 male and 3 females. and are there any differences with balloon rams that anyone knows about i heard they were bred after having the ballooned defect.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Personally, I don't keep fish that are bred for anatomical deformities, like balloon body, long fins, bulging eyes, and so on. Breeding them to me is like breeding three legged dogs, because you enjoy the strange way they hop around. :(

If your LFS has dwarf flag cichlids, that would be a very tempting option. It would be a bit like going back to the roots of the aqurium hobby, since those little guys have been around for a long time. They don't have the colors of Rams of some of the Apisto family, and presumably that's why they aren't seen as often in the hobby today than they used to be. Nevertheless, they are very pretty fish, and fairly easy to breed. The brood care of a pair would be fascinating to observe without being flooded with fry like you would be for example by convicts. The Latin name of dwarf flag cichlids is Laetacara curviceps, which should allow you to get some more info.

Laetacara curviceps - dwarf flag cichlid

Alternatively, you could hook up with breeders in your area via a local fish club. That should give you quite a few more option than your LFS without the need for mail order.

Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
These fish are not easy to sex. I have bred Bolivian Rams and sold hundreds of fry, and for the heck of me, I could never tell which one was male and which one was female, except for the dominant male in the tank, and any one that was just in the process of laying eggs :lol:

If you have an LFS who tells you they can accurately sex Rams or Dwarf Flag Cichlids, more likely than not they are pulling the wool over your eyes. Sometimes you can look in a tank and spot a mated pair by their behavior. If so - and the LFS can net them for you - that would be cool, and you might stick with those.

Otherwise I'd buy six for the best chance of getting a pair. Having additional females in a tank shouldn't hurt. If you ever find an harassed individual hanging around a corner, that's most likely a sub-dominant male. In that case I'd give that fish an extra tank, sell it, give it away, or return it to the LFS.

Almost forgot to mention, Dwarf Flag Cichlids are very peaceful towards other species of fish. In a 40G you could add a school of cardinal tetras, some interesting lifebearer, or you choice of other peaceful community fish :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thank you very much for the helpful advice and I will probably go to the LFS tomorrow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
take a look at cutteri, I just recently got one and love the look and personality, they can be tough to find but are very nice fish.

·
Registered
291 Posts
my LFS always has curviceps. It was never labeled a cichlid but for the life of me I knew it looked like one. Always have been tempted to buy them but when i got the tank set up for them, my attention got drawn away to yellow body/orange flash dwarf cichlids. So pretty. And my LFS maybe gets those in once a blue moon so i nabbed a good looking male and some females when I could. Maybe curviceps another day.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well you definetly do not want cichlids over 6 inches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts