Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a change for my 125 (72"x18" footprint) and moving from SA to Malawi. I've been resistant to changing from SA because I love the way the tank looks with the rock and driftwood, but it sounds like I can run the tank with it for Malawi cichlids anyway. The current parameters in the tank are pH 7.4 and medium hardness with PFS substrate. Filtration is a 30 gallon sump. I'm confident in the water being fine, given my Tropheus tank is the same water. That said, it has been ~20 years since I last kept any Malawi cichlids, and would appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

From looking at the cookie cutter set ups for a 75, one of the mixed tanks seems to cover what I want to do. What I'd like to get feedback on stock - wise concerns numbers of fish to start with and target ending up with as adults.

1. Labidochromis Caeruleus Yellow Labs
2. Placidochromis electra Deep water hap
3. Auloncara - Species TBD based on availability through a club member, preference is for a splash of red.
Those 3 are must have's IMO
4a. Lethrinops Sp. Subject to availability
4b something else with a bit of red?

My main goals for this tank are to have color, movement, and be able to watch spawning behaviors of multiple fish in the community. No interest in a male only tank.

Are there any Auloncaras where 2 males will color up and survive in a 6' tank? Short of that, what is a good amount of juveniles to start with to end up with 1m and 5-6f? For the haps, is there a good ratio to look for?

Are any of these notorius plant eaters? Hoping to be able to have some java fern on the driftwood in the upper reaches of the tank. Anything to watch out for, or specific Auloncara's to avoid?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The sky is the limit basically. African cichlids is a lot easier and more fun when you have a big tank like that, and you have fewer issues with things like aggression so long as you have plenty of small highing places for everyone. Lots and lots of shells and cups and lava rocks is the way to go, probably much more than you already have.

Start with at least 15, or else add in some dithers and haps first while it sets up and gets running. After you have the first dozen or so in you can add more in little groups. With enough filtration and/or a sump you can pack in a huge number of fish as well.

The main issue here is just interbreeding if you care about that. You can put basically a little of everything in there, even a buttikoferi if you like. A lot of fun but can be a lot of work, too.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
In a 72" tank I like 5 species with 1m:4f of each or if you want multiple males go with 3 species and 3m:9f of each. I don't like the big fish so my numbers are based on fish that mature <= six inches.

See my signature for species that work in a 72" tank and multiple males color up.

The haps and peacocks don't need as many rocks as the mbuna, so your current décor may work for them.

Note that lethrinops are timid and may not color up to their full potential with other species.

·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
In a 72" tank I like 5 species with 1m:4f of each or if you want multiple males go with 3 species and 3m:9f of each. I don't like the big fish so my numbers are based on fish that mature <= six inches.

See my signature for species that work in a 72" tank and multiple males color up.

The haps and peacocks don't need as many rocks as the mbuna, so your current décor may work for them.

Note that lethrinops are timid and may not color up to their full potential with other species.
Confused, as most resources say single male only. Or is that specific to Peacocks? I could go with up to 5 species, though I'll have to research others then!

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
1m:4f is the safest but in a large tank with less aggressive fish I've had luck with 3m:9f. All three of my maleri are brilliant. The borleyi are colored but not all as brilliant.

·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I'm not clear on all the various fish in Malawi, I had to try to look yours up.

borleyi = Copadichromis borleyi?

maleri = Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri"?

Not easy to look up fish in the species profile without knowing their type and genus!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had a Hap/Peacock/Yellow Lab tank, and the Lethrinops did not do well. They were timid, scared, and colorless. They eventually died off, one by one, over time since they were not thriving, so I personally did not have luck with them.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Yes. And the Astatotilapia latifasciata are Victorias.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts