Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 60 gallon cube aquarium that I want to stock with Tanganyikan cichlids. The dimensions of the aquarium are 24" x 24" x 24". I will be using a wet dry filter to take care of water quality. This is a list of fish I have come across that I have an interest in:

-Syndontis lucipinnis
-Tropheus duboisi
-Lamprologous multifasciatus
-Eretmodus cyanostictus
-Neolamprologous leleupi
-Neolamprologous pulcher
-Neolamprologous brichardi
-Ophthalmotilapia ventralis Chituta

Any suggestions as to which of these can go together and the aquascaping they need will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The Tropheus and Ventralis are out of the question, and the catfish are probably not good either. The rest of your choices are possilble, but not really good together. your very limited to how many "zones" or territories you can create in that footprint, so it will make having multiple species difficult.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Some people can get away with a small shellie and Julie in that footprint. I have never achieved that though. Maybe unlucky!!!!. With that list of fish you are probably looking at either a colony of multis or one of the neo's you listed as a species tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
The gallons are not bad but Africans want to claim and defend a territory that can be as large as several square feet. You would be able to fit more in a tank that was half as wide and twice as long.

Shellies, yes. Not sure if some of the others might be options instead of the shellies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help so far. Would it make much of a difference if I went with a 93 gallon cube. The dimensions being 30" x 30" x 24"?

·
Registered
656 Posts
It would be a little better, but you still have tons of unusable water volume. A 40g breeder(36"x18") would be good, a 48" 75g would be even better

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
A 48" tank is more ideal for cyps. A 36" tank might work for a group of paracyps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts