Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv been on a fishless cycle for about a week now but i was thinking about adding 2 long finned tetra to just start the bio process...are these good for a 55G tank?? and also when everything is ready i was wanting to add these Cichs are they good together??
8-demansoni
5-yellow labs
5-acie
5-rustys??????

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would do dems,and labs,and up the numbers of dems
are you getting (sexed) adults or juveniles?
aceis get to big for that size tank

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so scratch the acies i would like to get the rest of them as juveniles though so about how many dems would you suggest? and they labs and rustys will be cool?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Honestly I,ve never kept demasoni,but from what has been posted here numerous times is they do better in large groups or one,I would start with 20 and remove any fish(demasoni) that is hiding up by filters and such,that will probably be a sub-dominate male

as for labidichromis caeruleus(I keep) the ratio is not as important ,but I would aim for 1 male 3-4 females,start off with around ten

rusties(I keep) are more aggressive than labs,youll probably see males squaring off with each other, remove one,end up with 1 male to 3-4 females,start with around ten

this is how I,ve always done it,and it has worked for me,plenty of rock work that the males can claim as their own territories

so thats around 40 :eek: to start and end with just over 20,thats why I suggested labs and dems ,hopefully you have a way of rehoming the extras,a small tank at the ready is important

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with newforestrob. Per the advice from a forum mod I just cycled a new 55 gallon tank and I am adding 7 rusties, 7 yellow labs, and 15-18 demansoni. They are all being added as juvenille's so I can 'cull the herd' as they mature. Trying to end up with 1:4 or 1:5 M:F for the labs and rusties.

I was told the demansoni are about 1/2 the size of the other fish, so that's why you can get away with more of them. They are more agressive so the extra males will be to be removed/rehomed. But ideally I'm aiming for 2:12 type fo ratio for them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cdavitt said:
I agree with newforestrob. Per the advice from a forum mod I just cycled a new 55 gallon tank and I am adding 7 rusties, 7 yellow labs, and 15-18 demansoni. They are all being added as juvenille's so I can 'cull the herd' as they mature. Trying to end up with 1:4 or 1:5 M:F for the labs and rusties.

I was told the demansoni are about 1/2 the size of the other fish, so that's why you can get away with more of them. They are more agressive so the extra males will be to be removed/rehomed. But ideally I'm aiming for 2:12 type fo ratio for them.
So basically i need to do the same for my tank about 7-8 rusties and labs to start with and the demasoni around 18-20 and then slowly remove the sub-alpha males??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts