Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon 6 ft long tank with rocks throughout, currently with 7 cichlids. 1 fluval 405 and penguin 350 filters. I would like to know a good amount of fish to stock. Also other than frontosa can i mix other tangs and victorians with my malawi ciclinds. really like the anchor islands not sure.

1 frontosa
1 Electric yellow
1 Albino zebra
1 Blue zebra
1 Red peacock
1 Bumblebee
1 Other

·
Registered
21 Posts
-Well, If I had your current stock already in my tank, I would buy more of the species you already have. If they are <2" still you could go with 4-5 of the labs, 2-3 male peacocks and 6 females. Im not sure what Zebras are but if they are the Metriaclima zebra chilumba, then they can be kind of aggressive too, so use caution if you don't court one male with a few females to chase around. Now the Fronts, well, so long as they don't grow too fast a couple three will be fine, I would think. I never hope for losses but I always calculate them into my fish totals. Just be sure your tank is cycled correctly. :thumb:

-But each tank is going to differ a bit. Make sure you have 3-4 hiding spots per fish. Stocking in numbers will help keep the stress low. Try not to over stock a single niche. Because you don't want territory wars. If your "Bumble Bee " is what I think it is...they tend to be very aggressive down the road. :fish:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Your frontosa will get way too stressed out for that tank.

You need to decide if you want to go all-male mbuna, all-male hap/peacock, or breeding group mbuna for this tank. You can't do all 3, which is kind of what's going on right now.

The bumblebee is way too aggressive for any hap or peacock, and the zebras will probably stress them out, too.

If you want peacocks/haps and you want them to breed, plan on only 1 or 2 species (only 1 peacock) with very very different looking females.

Sounds like you want to go all-male though... I suggest looking at the library and seeing which type you'd prefer, then taking back the fish that don't fit that mold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you guys help, the bumblebee is very aggressive towards the frontosa but not hurting him. Would it be a good idea to get another front.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
If you want frontosa, they are ideally in a species tank. So if you get another frontosa, get rid of the other fish.

Or lose the frontosa and the peacock and stock mbuna instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts